Boston battle rap finds its home in the Chamber

Aiden Stein
Big Sosa performs a high-energy set “for the girls.” Sosa’s backup dancers, wearing shirts that read “RECOVERING SINNERS CLUB,” handed out matching shirts and goodies during her set. “I feel blessed, I feel amazing, I feel loved and I’m just ready to keep ripping this shit, honestly,” Big Sosa said after her win in her first matchup.

Eight rappers entered; one walked out the Grandmaster of the Chamber, a burgeoning new gauntlet for Boston’s performing artists. After eight previous Chambers of buildup and 64 artists competing, these eight weathered battle rappers took to the stage at Hibernian Hall on Sept. 23 for a chance at the title and $5,000 prize. 

The rappers, each with distinct personalities, were placed in a bracket and performed mercilessly against each other with the hopes of being selected by the crowd as the night’s winner. 

The event, hosted by Enjoy the Thrill, was started by Stephen Lafume and Cameron Teleau, both from the Mattapan-Dorchester area. The two had been hosting shows for artists through a creative agency and event company and wanted to maximize the amount of artists and attendees they involved. 

“We came up with the Chamber on a real intention to uplift artists in our city but also make people care about the artists that are here, because in the Chamber you have to choose, and you have to root for an artist and that sticks with you even after the Chamber,” Lafume said. 

During each round, two artists are paired off and compete for the audience, who become the ‘Fates’ of the Chamber. The ‘Fates’ then decide the winner of each matchup by hollering the loudest. 

“People were really rocking with the concept. It’s not even a new concept — it’s basically battle rap without the freestyling and the coming at each other,” Lafume said. “All we want to do is sharpen our community as artists.”

While photographers crowded the front of the room, local designers sold hand-sewn clothing at the back of the venue. The grassroots art gathering sought to give local artists and creatives of all kinds a space to create. 

“I would love for the Chamber to get as big as basketball and really provide a place for everyday artists that aren’t the Drakes or the Beyoncés,” Lafume said. 

This Chamber’s participants were each winners of previous Chambers and performed aggressively to win their title. Artists competed earnestly but also applauded their peers and stayed for the whole show, even after elimination. 

“I think the Chamber is a place where anything can happen — you get a lot of validation in the Chamber, seeing the people rock with you and scream,” Lafume said. 

Nahli, a local singer, opened the show, and local rappers including Tomo, Nate Nics, Trevo Tha Scholah, Sanye, Calvin Klein Caterpillar, Najee Janey, Big Sosa and Mayestar hoped to sharpen iron with iron. 

“In terms of main contributors, I definitely would love to mention Taijai ‘Super’ Slaughter, Branding Chanel, Vikianna, Thrill, Markit Social, one of our first sponsors, and obviously all the artists that performed. We can’t do it without the artists, can’t do it without the people,” Lafume said.

Aiden Stein
Aiden Stein, staff photographer, writer
Aiden is a fourth-year Journalism major, minoring in art and media studies. He hopes to go into a career in news and media production. He is passionate about connecting with creatives and telling their stories, as well as nonprofit enterprises in Boston.