Facing the facts

With more and more people becoming sexually active at such young ages, it is important that today’s teenagers be more educated on the consequences of sexual activity.

The fact that, according to the American Social Health Association (ASHA), one person in every five people in the U.S. has an STD is a scary fact to face. College students should especially be aware of these facts because, also according to ASHA, two-thirds of all STDs occur in people within our age group, 25-years-old or younger.

As cliche as it may sound, the fact that one moment of passion may result in a lifetime of disease, or even a child, is simply a stunning reality.

Sexually transmitted diseases have been reaching out of control proportions, and the scariest fact of them all will not include any type of number crunching; it is easy to avoid contracting these diseases.

Most of our lives, we are all told repeatedly that abstinence is the only way to positively avoid all of these illnesses. But while that is true, methods of prevention such as condoms and dental dams, are becoming more widely used.

It is inexcusable, given the knowledge we now have, that people are still as sexually careless as ever. It is purely a matter of common sense; take the time and protect yourself or face the grisly consequences.