44th annual Oktoberfest brings German culture to Harvard Square

Three+people+enjoy+German+beer+and+pretzels+in+the+spirit+of+Oktoberfest.+Oktoberfest+was+originally+established+as+a+public+festival+in+the+early+1800s+in+Germany.+
Elizabeth Scholl
Three people enjoy German beer and pretzels in the spirit of Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest was originally established as a public festival in the early 1800s in Germany.

Prosit! 

Harvard Square transformed into a hub for food, drinks and celebration as the 44th annual Harvard Square Oktoberfest kicked off Oct. 8 at 11 a.m. With the overlap of HONK! Festival’s parade at 1 p.m., visitors and locals alike had plenty of entertainment for the day.

Oktoberfest, originally a wedding celebration, is a festival held around the world celebrating Bavarian culture, food and drink. The main event in Munich, Germany, draws millions between late September and early October. 

Vendors embraced the German spirit, with multiple booths selling alcohol, and other German delicacies. Bratwurst, the iconic German sausage, was served in a hot dog bun from one vendor, topped with mustard and sauerkraut, another German dish. Another vendor served oiled and salted Bavarian pretzels along with raclette potatoes, a dish of seasoned potatoes topped with melted raclette cheese. 

German desserts were also present, with one vendor, Das Sweet Treat, serving up Quarkbällchen (quark balls), a fried dough ball made with quark, a soft cheese. 

Many vendors used Oktoberfest as an opportunity to share their business’ products.

Hannah Shields and her husband Rob Dunn were excited to advertise their business Demo Bar, a company offering cocktail classes, kits, consulting and more.

“We jumped at the chance, we know [Oktoberfest] is a really big market. … We’re excited to share what we do and what we’re passionate about,” Shields said.

Oktoberfest also had a fair share of performers. 

Rumboat Chili, a classic rock band, drew crowds while they performed classics like “Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns N’ Roses. Cate Great, a former Cirque du Soleil performer turned street performer, captivated audiences with her various balancing acts, incorporating audience participation along the way. 

Oktoberfest ran until 6 p.m., allowing ample time to enjoy the festivities and explore local businesses. 

Elizabeth Scholl
Elizabeth Scholl, Deputy Photo Editor
Elizabeth Scholl is a second-year pharmaceutical sciences major with a minor in business administration. She currently serves as one of the deputy photo editors for The News. Her favorite events to photograph include sports, concerts and anything The News needs last minute.