Northeastern women’s basketball soars against Stonehill for season opener

The Huskies huddle before tip off. This season, Northeastern is off to a 2-1 start. Photo courtesy Jim Pierce/Northeastern Athletics.

On Nov. 6, the Northeastern women’s basketball team (1-0, 0-0 CAA) traveled to Easton, Massachusetts with high hopes for this season. The team secured a 73-61 win against the Stonehill Skyhawks, and the Huskies’ season appears to be off to a good start.

Senior guard Derin Erdogan, senior guard Maddie Vizza, junior guard Gemima Motema, junior forward Asha Parker and senior forward Deja Bristol started in the season opener. Erdogan, who was named to the All-CAA First Team at the end of last season, opened up the game with a layup in the first five seconds of play, which was matched by graduate student guard Anna Boruta of the Skyhawks 47 seconds later. Boruta transferred to Stonehill after playing for the Huskies for four years.

Northeastern held onto the lead for the majority of the first quarter, despite not making any three-pointers. Eventually, the Skyhawks pulled ahead of the Huskies with a jumper from Stonehill freshman guard Jada Thornton. Erdogan took care of business with a jumper soon after, giving the Huskies a one-point edge, ending the first quarter with a score of 20-19.

A layup by junior guard Sharn Hayward of Stonehill began the scoring for the second quarter, but Motema put the Huskies back in front with a jumper and later a steal from Boruta that resulted in a layup. The Skyhawks’ defense and passing game, along with some Northeastern fouls, kept it tight for the majority of the quarter.

Freshman guard Yirsy Quéliz tallied the first points of her college career with a three-pointer, assisted by Motema, giving the Huskies a lead that lasted for the rest of the quarter. 

Northeastern’s lead continued to climb throughout the third quarter thanks to its aggressive defensive play and six offensive rebounds. With fouls from Erdogan that eventually took the guard out for the quarter, along with key plays from the Skyhawks including a three-pointer from Boruta, Stonehill was able to close in on Northeastern. Still, the Huskies did not let go of their lead, ending the quarter 53-49.

In the final quarter, Northeastern rebounds prevented the Skyhawks from scoring until the 7:30 mark, but Thornton, with an assist by Hayward, was able to stop the drought. Vizza responded with an open three along with an and-one by Bristol. 

The Huskies, now ahead by 13 points, forced Stonehill to pump up the intensity. With two jumpers and two free throws, the Skyhawks did just that, shrinking Northeastern’s lead to seven points. 

After a jumper by Motema put the Huskies ahead by nine with less than a minute left in the game, the Skyhawks called a time out. Stonehill racked up six fouls in the last minute, which prevented the Skyhawks from notching any points through the remainder of the game and gave Northeastern five free throws. A missed jumper by Thornton followed by a Bristol rebound ended the game, the Huskies winning 73-61.

The game marked the first Northeastern win for head coach Priscilla Edwards-Lloyd, and the Huskies bested the Skyhawks in field goal and three-point percentages, total rebounds, assists, steals and blocks, with Bristol recording a double-double in rebounds and total points. Motema shined as the leading scorer at 22 points for the game. 

The team tipped off its home opener against UMass Amherst at 7 p.m. in the Cabot Center Thursday and won 78-74.