Huskies find success over Hampton on Senior Day

Molly McAlevey
Derin Erdogan shoots the ball in a game earlier this season. She was one of four graduating members of the team honored on Senior Day.

After seven straight losses, including a forfeit, the Huskies women’s basketball team (9-16, 5-13 CAA) finally got back on their feet on Mar. 3, picking up a win against the Hampton University Pirates (3-24, 3-14 CAA), who stand in last in the CAA. 

Fifth-year forward Jaelyn Batts, senior guard Derin Erdogan, senior guard Maddie Vizza and senior forward Halle Idowu were honored prior to the game in a Senior Day celebration.

Northeastern struggled throughout the first quarter, going 3-for-12 in field goals and suffering a 12-3 run by the Pirates. The Huskies closed the frame down 17-10.

The Huskies started to gain momentum in the second quarter, thanks to 10 points in the paint and major contributions from Vizza and Erdogan. With 45 seconds left in the second quarter, Vizza tallied her 100th career three-pointer. Vizza and Erdogan are tied for the highest three-point percentage of the season at .340. 

Northeastern trimmed its deficit to four to end the half 32-28.

Throughout the third quarter, three-pointers appeared to come naturally to the Huskies, with perfect accuracy on four attempts. Even with the Huskies making an 8-3 run towards the end of the quarter, the Pirates managed to hold onto a one-point lead entering the final quarter 51-50.

Northeastern gained a lead in the fourth quarter with a layup by freshman forward Sophia Carlisle, but the game remained tense as there were three lead changes in the final ten minutes. When the game was tied 60-60 with 3:40 to go, Hampton’s fight got messy as they racked up five fouls to give the Huskies a bonus plus, allowing them to shoot two free-throws after each proceeding Hampton foul. 

Freshman forward Casey Miller of Hampton also fouled out with four seconds left in regulation. Northeastern finished on top 64-60, despite only leading for five minutes throughout the entire game. 

Due to the extensive injuries on the team, the Huskies dressed just six players against the Pirates. Playing for all 40 minutes of the game, Erdogan led the team with 25 points, followed by Carlisle with 32. This game was the second career start for Carlisle.

Though the team still has a lot to work on before postseason play, Northeastern proved itself in second chance points with 16 throughout the game, including nine in the last quarter. The Pirates had eight second chance points by the end of the game.

The Huskies forfeited their final two regular season games against the William and Mary Tribe and the Towson University Tigers due to injuries, including junior guard Gemima Motema with a ruptured Achilles tendon and junior forward Asha Parker who hasn’t played since the Jan. 21 loss against College of Charleston. The forfeits against the Seawolves and the Tribe are considered losses in CAA rankings, but will not be counted in overall NCAA standings.

The team hopes to pick back up in the CAA Tournament starting March 13 in Washington, D.C.