Snowport market brings holiday cheer to Boston, supports small businesses

Jessica Xing
Two women walk under an archway that says “Kiss Me.” Decorations such as wreaths, Christmas trees and string lights contributed to the holiday atmosphere.

Hundreds flocked to Seaport Saturday for the fifth annual Snowport Holiday Market.

With four entrances, the lines for Snowport wrapped around the block. While some decided the wait wasn’t worth it, others chose to bear the windy weather for a chance to enter the holiday-themed shopping hub.

Bundled up in puffer coats, scarves and winter hats, shoppers strolled through the small walkways between booths, exploring everything from apparel and accessories to household goods and art.

The opening weekend had no shortage of sales, and vendors only expect them to pick up as the winter season approaches. Leaf Pile Studios, a needle felting company, is participating for the first time but has already seen success in the first couple days.

“Sales have been good,” said Carson Crook, a vendor for Leaf Pile Studios. “We’re having a lot of people come back, a lot of people working their way through everything and coming back to check things out.”

With a large food and beverage lounge complete with seating, customers indulged in sweet and savory cuisines from 14 different food booths and trucks. The food offerings this year include cheese wheel pasta, New England clam chowder and Nutella-and-strawberry waffles. Customers can also drink hot chocolate or purchase a beverage from one of three bars on-site.

Beyond shopping, people admired the decorations, wrote their winter wishes on a community chalkboard and tried their hand at the Snowport Curling Lanes. With something for everyone to enjoy, many brought their children or dogs along for the family-friendly event. 

Jordan Laugeni, who lives in the West End, brought his dog Whaler with him. He especially enjoyed the food and getting to meet new people.

“This event’s been great. It’s been really nice and it’s dog-friendly, [with] a lot of kind people,” Laugeni said. “It’s cool how it’s all separated out into different sections. There’s a lot of good representation of food of all different kinds of cultures.”

Snowport opened for the season Nov. 10 and many visitors found early November to be the perfect time for holiday shopping. For small businesses, the early start helps boost sales in a time when competing with larger chain companies can be more difficult.

“I think it’s a great way for small businesses to be supported a bit earlier to avoid the Black Friday wave and the really tight turnarounds when it comes to shipping and everything,” said Emily Li, a vendor for Mama Lam’s, a Malaysian curry paste and hot sauce company. “It gives opportunity for you to explore options beyond just the big box stores.”

The Holiday Market will be open through Dec. 31 with extended hours starting Dec. 11.

Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.