Club hockey at Northeastern may be in the shadows, but the Huskies are on their way to one of their best seasons yet

Leo Byers fist bumps his teammates on the bench. Byers joined Northeastern’s club hockey team in his first year at the school. Photo courtesy Rachel Bergstein

Northeastern’s men’s club hockey team (11-5-0 M2) is ranked first in the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s M2 Northeast division. Despite being a club team, where players have no scholarships, little adult management and smaller crowds, the men’s club hockey team continues to succeed. The players show their talent, work ethic and ambition for their team and Northeastern on the ice week after week.

Fifth-year forward Andrew Godfrey, a mechanical engineering major and team president, knew before heading to college that he wanted to continue hockey at the club level. 

“I started skating when I was three,” Godfrey said. “When I was looking at schools, club hockey was one of the big considerations I had. I met with the president and talked to him about [Northeastern’s team]; it seemed like a lot of fun. I didn’t want to stop playing after I graduated high school, so making the team was a big goal of mine coming to Northeastern.” 

Fourth-year forward Leo Byers, a civil engineering major, shares a similar story to Godfrey’s. Byers started playing hockey when he was 11 years old, later than many hockey players, and competed for his high school team. 

“The captain at my high school preceding me was Matt Shirk. He has played [on Northeastern’s club team] since he was a freshman,” Byers said. “I heard that he was playing, and Northeastern was on my list anyway. Once I got here, I reached out to Matt; he only had positive things to say, so I tried out and was glad I did.” 

Northeastern’s rigorous courses and co-op opportunities keep students busy, and adding the commitment of a club sport is not easy to manage. The club team practices twice a week for two hours and often has to travel as far as Florida for weekend games. But for Micah Kim, a fourth-year defenseman and industrial engineering major, the team culture pushes the players academically and gives them a structured routine.

Micah Kim scans the ice for the Huskies. The Huskies rose to the top of the ACHA M2 Northeast rankings earlier this season. Photo courtesy Rachel Bergstein

“Our culture is classic work hard and play hard,” Kim said.“Many of us who grew up playing know it’s the same routine as we did in high school… If you’ve grown up with it and brought it to college, it just gets slightly more elevated. When I come to the rink, it’s a breath of freedom; I don’t have to think about school.” 

Head coach Fred Carpenito has coached the team for over 15 years. Carpenito has led the team to multiple national tournament appearances, and the talent runs in his family. His son, Nick Carpenito, is now in his 10th season as assistant coach for Northeastern’s women’s hockey team (11-8-0, 7-6-0 HE). 

The bond between the team is unbreakable. As Byers, Kim and Godfrey spend their last year at Northeastern, they have begun to reflect on their time on the club hockey team. 

“I’m going to be devastated losing these guys at the end of the season,” Byers said. “I think the biggest thing for me is just appreciating every day I get to be around them.”

In Godfrey’s role as president and having spent every single year of his college career with the team, he feels a huge responsibility for the team as a whole.

“Being president, I want to leave the team in a good place,” Godfrey said. “Making sure that the next president has a good starting place where he’s ready for the extra responsibilities.”

The team’s current No. 1 ranking excited them, but they are not letting it get to their head. 

“The job is not finished,” Byers said. “It’s nice to be recognized in the rankings, but we’re never satisfied.” 

Northeastern has six games left in its season before the national tournament starts. The Huskies are coming off a six-game winning streak and will now take a month off the ice. Their next matchup will be at Matthews Arena Jan. 14 against the team that Northeastern stole the No. 1 ranking from, the University of New Hampshire (8-2-1 M2).  

“The rankings tell one story,” Kim said. “But the way you play is another story.”