Northeastern undergraduate applications surge, breaking record for 2024

Jessica Xing
A group of prospective students and parents stop at Krentzman Quadrangle during an admissions tour. Northeastern received a record-breaking number of applications for fall 2024.

Northeastern recorded yet another record-breaking number of undergraduate applicants for the 2024-25 academic year, receiving 98,373 applications for fall 2024, according to a Northeastern Global News, or NGN, article

The application pool is up from 96,327 in 2023 and 91,000 in 2022. The university continues to see increasing application numbers year after year, which NGN, a university-run news outlet, attributed to Northeastern’s ever-expanding global presence with satellite campuses and its success spearheading experiential learning programs with co-op and study abroad. 

According to NGN, the number of applicants has increased 53% over five years. The acceptance rate, which was a record-low 5.6% in 2023, is also expected to drop. 

The incoming class will consist of approximately 2,600 students in Boston, 475 at Northeastern’s Oakland campus and 300 at the London campus.

In 2023, the university announced that it would begin accepting students to itsLondon and Oakland campuses for the full duration of their undergraduate degrees, The News previously reported. This change resulted in confusion and frustration from some admitted students who said they were under the impression they’d be studying in Boston when they applied. 

This year, 36% of applicants expressed interest in studying on the London or Oakland campus as their first or second choice on their applications, NGN reported.

“The Northeastern education is unparalleled — the ability to study at a premier R1 research institution that has the ability to send students all over the world to gather professional experiences before they graduate,” Satyajit Dattagupta, chief enrollment officer and senior vice chancellor, said in the NGN article. “This unique value proposition leads to clear and measurable outcomes for families.”

Val O’Neill
Val O’Neill, Managing Editor
Val O’Neill is a third-year journalism major with a minor in photography and one of the deputy campus editors. She has previously been a staff writer and staff photographer and is excited to bring new ideas and continue her participation on The News. You can follow her on X/Twitter at @vqon717.
Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.