Calendar for April 1 to April 7

News Staff Photo/Laura Pond
Event of the Week:
Fluffy fight – mysterious melee:

Been a while since your last good pillow fight? No worries: Those crazy-mysterious folks in Banditos Misteriosos – the group that refers to itself as “Boston’s mysterious playmate” and plans such compelling impromptu events as epic squirt gun fights and freeform gift swaps – will orchestrate the return of perhaps its most popular event. This is, of course, the Boston Common pillow fight, a part of World Pillow Fight Day (April 3, apparently). Last year, Boston’s event ranked third in the world according to the group’s website, which said more than 1200 people showed up to wage soft, cuddly war on their fellow Bostonians. So grab a pillow (preferably a soft one), and just remember not to go after anyone without their own fluffy armament. The event will be started by air horn at 3 p.m. sharp, but the group’s website recommends getting there five minutes early. For more, visit
www.misteriosos.org.

Thursday,
April 1

Sorry, no joke here. One Reporter. One Year. Twenty Wars. Such is the premise of intrepid backpack journalist Kevin Sites’s new book, “A World of Conflict,” and thus those who come to his talk at Northeastern can expect to hear all about the conflict zones around the world – many of them out of the spotlight – that Sites made it his goal to cover in one year. It’s not unfamiliar territory to the journalist, who has covered war and other humanitarian catastrophes for ABC, CNN, NBC, and Yahoo! News’ now defunt “Hot Zone.” The talk is this year’s incarnation of the Karen Fischer Lecture, which honors an NU alumnus who was killed while covering the war in Afghanistan in 2006. 310 Behrakis, 3 to 4:30 p.m.; Free; 617-373-4045.

Friday,
April 2

Up-and-coming low-fi indie-electro trio The xx are keeping a lot more active this Friday than their chilled-out beats might suggest. In fact, they’re playing two back-to-back shows at the Paradise, supported by Nosaj Thing at 6 p.m. (hey kids, this one’s all ages) and the suspisciously-similarly-named jj at 8 p.m. (18+). It promises to be a night of dreamy, catchy tunes that’ll please fans of that kinda thing. 967 Commonwealth Ave.; 6 and 8 p.m.; $17.50.; 617-562-8800.

Sunday,
April 4

Well, yes, it’s opening day at Fenway … and Easter Sunday. But if just the morning hours are enough taking it easy for you, and you’re wondering exactly where the party will be later, there’s sex, drugs, and rock n’ roll … questions, that is … at The Savant Project’s trivia night. Sure, it happens every Sunday, but this particular night will be a celebration of some of those who weren’t celebrating the holiday earlier: Come “party with the Jews!” says the event’s Facebook page, which also says some guy named Benny will be subbing for the normal hosts, doing it “Jew Style,” though the page also does mention eggs being decorated and hidden. 1625 Tremont St.; 8 p.m.; free; 617-566-5958.

Monday,
April 5

This one’s sky-high: Remember how the gravity-defying and poetically beautiful martial arts sequences of Ang Lee’s epic “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” blew everyone’s mind when the film was originally released in 2000? Well now, they can expand your mind as well. BU physics professor Andrew Cohen will be on hand at this latest installment of the Coolidge Corner Theatre’s “Science on Screen” series, where he’ll discuss exactly how the film’s action takes some – uh – creative license with the laws of physics, and why this helps the film pack a punch (literally) with viewers. He should know, at BU he created a course called “Cinema Physica” that introduces even the most science-illiterate to physics using the lens of cinema. 290 Harvard St., Brookline.; 7 p.m.; $9.75; 617-734-2500.

Tuesday,
April 6

Sure, watching “real” musicians do their thing is great, but the sheer show(wo)manship, bravado, and silliness of an air guitar tournament is hard to ignore. At these National Air Guitar Championship Regionals, held at Harper’s Ferry in Allston, the creme de la creme of local air guitar virtuosos and sans-ax shredders will demonstrate their chops in front of a crowd full of screaming fans … instruments not included. “Believe,” the event flier urges. The performers certainly do. And really, with air instruments, it’s the thought that counts. The show is 18+. 158 Brighton Ave., Allston; 8 p.m.; $14 advance, $16 at the door; 617-254-9743.

Wednesday,
April 7

Underground film fans who missed out (or still can’t get enough) after the recent Boston Underground Film Festival as well as lovers of – uh – off-the-beaten-path cinema can head to “All Things Horror Presents,” at the Somerville Theatre, a once-montly showcase of all things cutting-edge (that may, very well, involve cutting things with sharp edges) in the world of indie-horror flicks. This month, “Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated,” will – besides having the benefit of a wonderful pun in its title – present an animated take on George Romero’s zombie classic, put together by animators from around the globe. A variety of short films will also be on the bill, including a faux-infomercial about “Movie Monster Insurance,” which, unfortunately, probably wasn’t included in the recent Health Care overhaul. 55 Davis Square, Somerville; 7 p.m.; $5; [email protected].

Calendar compiled by Taylor Adams, News Staff