Second floor of Snell Library to close for renovations, basement to reopen with books

Quillan Anderson
The exterior of Snell Library. Northeastern announced in an email to students Friday afternoon that the second floor of Snell will close Feb. 20 for renovations, while the basement level will reopen the same day.

The second floor of Snell Library will close Feb. 20 for renovations, Dean of the Library Dan Cohen announced in an email to students Friday afternoon. The basement level will reopen the same day and house physical books for the first time in nearly four years, the email stated.

The second floor renovations are expected to be completed during the fall 2024 semester. Upon its reopening, the floor will have “reservable group study rooms, a creativity and design hub, drop-in research help, consultation space with library experts and additional study space,” according to the Snell Library website

Cohen said the ITS Tech Bar on the second floor will relocate to the first floor during renovations.

Snell’s newly updated basement level will contain “reservable group study rooms, additional study space and more space to highlight the Archives and Special Collections,” the email said.

Additionally, the basement’s reopening will mark the return of “high-use” physical books to Snell, the email said. Books have been absent from the library since 2020, when they were relocated to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Northeastern first announced the ongoing renovations in fall 2022, with the fourth floor undergoing renovations first. The top floor reopened Nov. 13, followed by the closure of the third floor. 

Renovations are currently taking place on the first floor as well, which is still open. However, according to the library website, services and departments such as Campus Coffee, Tea Café, the Writing Center and the Research Help Desk have either closed or relocated.

According to the website, renovations on the first and third floors are expected to end in fall 2024 and summer 2024, respectively.

In the email to the student body, Northeastern provided students with a list of alternate study spaces they can utilize during the renovations.

About the Contributors
Laura Emde
Laura Emde, Deputy Lifestyle Editor
Laura Emde is a third-year media and screen studies and journalism major with a minor in music industry. She is one of the current deputy lifestyle editors and has previously been a part of The News as a social media team member, copy editor and staff writer. She says to stream "Speak Now (Taylor's Version)."
Quillan Anderson
Quillan Anderson, Photo Editor
Quillan Anderson is a fourth-year journalism and political science student with a minor in photojournalism and working on her MS in media advocacy. This is her second semester as photo editor at the News, and she has previously served as deputy photo editor.