Brookline residents celebrate AANHPI Heritage Month with crafts, student performances

Emily Boyle
Students from the Baker School perform a traditional Korean fan dance known as Buchaechum. The dancers wore brightly colored hanboks.

Community members gathered May 18 for Brookline’s Second Annual Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Day Celebration. The event, organized collaboratively by the Brookline Asian American Family Network, the Brookline Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Community Relations and the Public Libraries of Brookline, took place at the Brookline Village Library and the Brookline Town Hall. 

An audience of about 100 people, mostly children and families, gathered in Hunneman Hall on the second floor of the Village Library. The event began with author Vincent Yee speaking about his book series “Clara Wu and the World of Azen.” Yee’s books feature Chinese American teenager Clara Wu as the protagonist as she fights to save the world. Yee spoke about how he was inspired during the COVID-19 lockdown to self-publish this series due to a lack of Asian American representation in media.  

“My imagination was telling me that these four characters, who are Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Japanese, would come together, fight Asian-spawned demons together and save the world while they find their favorite boba,” Yee said to the audience. “I wanted to fold in our cultural things but in a mysterious and fantastical world called Azen.”

Following the book talk, children from all backgrounds took to the stage with celebratory performances. Students from the Edith C. Baker School honored Korean heritage through traditional fan dances. Members of the Triveni School of Dance honored the Hindu god Shiva, or “Lord of the Dance.” Members of the Brookline Chinese School played traditional Chinese instruments, such as the guzheng and hulusi, in addition to the drums. There were also more contemporary acts, such as the K-pop Brookline High School Popcorn Dance Club

Following the performances, participants made their way to Brookline Town Hall. Various crafting stations made learning about Asian culture a hands-on experience. At one table, children learned how to write their names in Korean. Others made origami cranes or clay sculptures inspired by anime, and younger children enjoyed puppet shows and storytime. Free lunches provided by Dumpling Daughter were a crowd favorite, garnering a line stretching out the door. 

With something for everyone, Brookline’s Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Month celebration was an epicenter of culture and fun.