Families celebrate Lilac Sunday at Harvard Arboretum

Jacob Salamanca
Families at the Arboretum dance to Afrobeat music. The Arboretum hosted an Afro-fusion dance lesson taught by BalletRox.

The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University hosted Lilac Sunday May 12 to celebrate the annual blooming of its lilacs. The celebration started in 1908, when The Boston Globe highlighted the Arboretum’s seasonal blooming flowers and coined the term “Lilac Sunday,” inspiring many to see the lilacs. Charles Sprague Sargent, the Arboretum’s first director, then decided to make it an official tradition. Since then, Lilac Sunday has been a Mother’s Day tradition, with over 18,000 visitors this year. 

The lilacs were primarily located near Bussey Hill Road, where visitors came in with baskets and blankets to set up picnics. The Arboretum also had activities ranging from sidewalk chalk art to arts and crafts. Guides gave historical tours about the different species of lilacs, like the Lilac Sunday lilac, which was cultivated by former plant propagator John Alexander for the annual celebration. 

Visitors enjoyed making picnics and playing frisbee in the greenery together. Kids drew chalk art of butterflies and lilacs on the pavement. Fun activities and stations were organized around the area, such as dancing events and opportunities to learn about the Arboretum. Lilac Sunday had much to offer for lilac lovers and families, and the tradition will continue to bring joy to many at the Arboretum in the coming years.