Black Comedy Explosion in Faneuil Hall

Make sure to get there on time, dress to impress, turn off those cellular phones and respect the comedian. These are the rules that must be followed at the Black Comedy Connection if students want to save themselves from the utmost embarrassment.

At first glance, Johnathan Gates possesses a serious demeanor, but once he opens his mouth it’s a different story. Gates decided to create the Black Comedy Explosion while out on the road with the Def Jam Comedy Tour.

This show is nothing new; it has been around for four years. The show is put on every Sunday, which started in November and goes through until the summer.

“The response has been very positive in the last four years,” said Gates. “There wasn’t anything like that going on in Boston at the time.”

This is a top of the line show, which will feel good to the audience and their wallets. Tickets are $12 and has featured A-list comedians like Martin Lawrence, Bernie Mac, Adele Givens, Sheryl Underwood and Sommore, just to name a few.

We’ve all heard stories about famous comedians who were class clowns in their school days. Such is not the case with Gates. When asked whether or not he was the joker of his elementary school or frequently visited the principal’s office, Gates shakes his head from side to side.

“No, I was the quiet clown, I was scared to be funny,” Gates said.

Gates recalls one incident in middle school when he decided to be funny in his North Carolina school.

“Ms. Johnson beat me, sent me to the principal’s office and the principal beat me, then my grandpa beat me. By the time everyone was done beating me, I felt like Kunta Kinte,” he said.

Students should definitely check out this show and, rest assured, you will definitely get your money’s worth. Although the showcase is called the Black Comedy Explosion, people from all backgrounds are welcome to attend.

“It doesn’t matter what color you are, funny is funny. The crowd is mostly white and we have white and Puerto Rican comedians who perform,” Gates said.

One of the most amusing parts of the night was when Gates took the stage to make one of the patrons an honorary black man. Gates proceeded to name the victim he picked who was an Iceland import, Rahiem, and tell him how to stand, talk and hold his crotch in an African-American fashion.

Gates did not aspire to become a comedian. His story shows that life has a lot of surprises in store for us. He was a linebacker at Ohio State with a promising career ahead of him when he sustained an injury that eventually deterred his life.

“That was the lowest point in my life,” Gates said. “In college my major was football, on paper it was computer science. Athletes need to know when they are at a university they are nothing but a product.”

With his injury and degree in a subject he knew little about, Gates decided to use his size to his advantage. Gates started a bodyguard service, doing this is how he started comedy. While at a comedy show a comedian suggested he go on stage. Ever since then he has been making people laugh with the best form of comedy — the type everyone can relate to on the things that happen on a day to day basis.

Fellow comedians agree that this is a great idea

“The Black Comedy Explosion is a great concept. It needs to be exposed more by the black community. There is not a lot of focus on black comedy,” said comedian Roz G. “Funnyman” Purrnell, who is a first time performer on the Black Comedy Explosion. “It’s been a wonderful experience.”

See Jonathan Gates at work along with guest comedians at the Comedy Connection every Sunday in Fanueil Hall. The show kicks off at 9:00 p.m. and tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. For more information, call the Comedy Connection at 617-248-9700 or contact Jonathan Gates at 617-590-8334 or via e-mail at [email protected]. Check out the many facets of Jonathan Gates at his Web site mypages.netopia.com/blackcomedy.