Man on the Style

By Margarita Neplokh

For the past quarter, The Northeastern News has been searching the campus for interesting and intellectual dressers. They inspire the ones around them and develop their personal style based on their lifestyles at Northeastern.

Our profile is a bit different this time around.

With prior profiles centered around the eclectic and artsy, this profile is based on the classic — tried and true. Trends may come and go, wide leg or mini skirt, but the key pieces like black pants and blue jeans will always come out looking classy and stylish. Boyan Kovacic, 18, is a freshman International Affairs major who was born in New York, and whose family is from Yugoslavia. He stood out from the rest for looking classy and up to date, without compromising trends.

Northeastern News: If you could describe your personal style, having lived in New York with a rich cultural background, how have these things affected the way you dress?

Boyan Kovacic: I cannot be limited to only one style, even though I am identified as something. This is not what I am all the time. I am heavily influenced by Gucci and the designer Tom Ford, who designs the collections for Gucci. His personal style definitely affects me.

The News: Tom Ford has a general uniform that he wears day in and day out. A classic pair of jeans and white shirt rolled up at the sleeves. Do you see yourself mimicking that?

Kovacic: Yeah, I wear dress shirts tucked in and rolled up at the sleeves and I also wear straight leg jeans. Not as much as him, now, it is too cold.

The News: Describe your key pieces for your wardrobe.

Kovacic: Pretty conservative stuff, all white sneakers or black dress shoes, flat front pants always in solid colors, definitely crew necks, no v-necks.

The News: Do you feel that conservative, but stylish, fashions are prominent on campus?

Kovacic: No, everyone here dresses the same — conservative definitely, but not original. I am heavily inspired by James Bond and I wish everyone would be as original.

The News: What is your ideal outfit?

Kovacic: A Gucci, wool blend, three-button, single-breasted suit and maybe a fedora.

The News: Are there any affordable designers that cater to the same type of audience, but give a cheaper alternative to Gucci?

Kovacic: Banana Republic for dress shirts and United Colors of Benaton, as well. H’M is good too, but the fabrics are of a lesser quality.

The News: Do you feel it is easy to dress in your style of clothing in Boston?

Kovacic: It is tougher to be a guy and dress this way. The culture here is more conservative, but I still cannot wear high fashion. For women it is expected, but I feel out of place.