NU grad’s clothing line is Jewcy

By Alee Hoffman

Trendy kids of the Jewish persuasion, rejoice!

Jason Saft, a graduate of Northeastern University has answered your prayers for a cute and oh-so-hip line of clothing called Jewcy. Consisting of everything from hats to undies, Saft’s wares are reppin’ the faith that gets to party on for eight whole nights instead of a mere one during the holiday season. And the idea is spreading: Jewcy has also started hosting events, has a popular and funny Web site, and even boasts celeb clients. The Northeastern News pinned down Saft for a chat on future plans for this exciting new venture and how NU prepared him for the success of Jewcy. Find out more at jewcy.com.

The Northeastern News: How did the idea for the Jewcy line come about? Did any of the idea happen to start during your time at Northeastern?

Saft: The word Jewcy originated from a nickname I had when I was growing up. My last name translates to juice in German; I was one of three Jewish kids where I grew up, in Levittown, Long Island. I know you would never think a town in Long Island is not Jewish but this one is. So kids will be kids and it was a derogatory nickname. But now we had the chance to make it a positive word. While the project itself began after I left Northeastern, Jewcy may not have happened or be on as large a scale that it is on if it where not for my co-op jobs.

The News: Who is the typical or even ideal Jewcy customer? Any famous people embody Jewciness?

Saft: The truth is everyone and anyone can be the embodiment of Jewcy. We have been flooded with emails and orders from Grandma’s in Boca to teens in Israel and Australia. There are so many Jewcy celebrities; Lenny Kravitz, Perry Farrell (Jane’s Addiction), Jakob Dylan (The Wallflowers), Beck, Woody Allen, the late Sammy Davis Jr., even Madonna. And speaking of Madonna, her business partner has ordered four shirts. Actually you would be surprised at how many orders and email we get from non-Jews. Like we say. you don’t have to be Jewish to be Jewcy…but it wouldn’t hurt.

The News: What is the most popular Jewcy item? What are some future items to look forward to?

Saft: The most popular item by far is the Pink “Jewcy” thong. With the exception of four people, we have had a phenomenal response…actually overwhelming is a better term. We are working on the spring and summer line as we speak.

Expect to see new colors, designs and the introduction of the Jewcy spokes model “Foxy Katz.”

So keep checking back on Jewcy.com

The News: So Jewcy is a lifestyle, not just a clothing event — what does this lifestyle entail?

Saft: Jewcy is really about embracing life, being visible,

vocal and proud. Our other mission is to help established and emerging talent within the Jewish community to gain visibility in a more mainstream spotlight. We are able to do this through a series of live events at the very cool Ars Nova Theater in Manhattan.

The News: Jewcy has started having events. What are some cool events that are in the works?

Saft: We are planning our February and March events now. Expect to see the utterly brilliant Sarah Silverman back at Ars Nova in April. It’s well worth the trip to NY. If all goes planned we will begin to do these events nationally. Who knows there may be “A Jewcy Spectacular” at Blackman Auditorium in the future!

The News: Any tips for NU students who would like to start a business that is off the beaten path as well?

Saft: It’s as simple as believing in yourself. If you do, others will. In this day and age, nothing is too off the beaten path. And I have to say again, take advantage of the co-op system — look for things that work for you and if you can’t find that company in one of those big books, then get out there and find them yourself. It’s such an unbelievable advantage.