Man on the Street

By Margarita Neplokh

With 2002 at a close and 2003 bursting with energy and life — as well as snow — we see a lot of different looks coming to the forefront of fashion. The feeling for 2003 has no restrictions, just like our next representative for The News’ Man on the Street series, Zak Kahn.

Kahn is the first subject spotted who signified the essence of the New Year, wearing a sport track jacket and an Atticus baseball hat that shows off his varied personality and keen sense of style. Kahn is a freshman music industry major from Boston. He loves hardcore and punk music.

The Northeastern News: Where are you from and does that make a major impact on how you dress?

Zak Kahn: I’m from Boston and not necessarily. I guess music affects the way I dress more. I could live in California and still dress the same.

The News: What are your basic interests and are they something that influences you and others, fashion wise?

Kahn: I listen to music and play drums in a band, “Tramps Like Us.” Being in a band influences the way I dress.

The News: Is Northeastern a stylish place?

Kahn: I think it is stylish, but stylish in a different way from me. If you look around in the cafe, people are wearing similar clothing and that has a style in itself. Most people seem to have a look they want to go after, but it’s different from mine.

The News: Is fashion important to you?

Kahn: Yes, I spend time trying to look the way I do. I buy clothes in a certain size and go out of the way to find certain things, I try to go for a certain look.

The News: What would be your ideal genre for fashion?

Kahn: Punk. I think all genres are a little bit punk.

The News: Do you think this genre blends well with generic fashion standards?

Kahn: Right now I feel that as more stylish bands such as The Strokes get bigger, the culture goes with the media. In turn, you have people on the street trying to be like those bands. So media is a big influence.

The News: If you could embody any icon or celebrity’s fashion, who would it be?

Kahn: Mike Ness from Social Distortion. He is definitely influential.

The News: If you could change anything about him what would it be, and would you replace that with one of your qualities?

Kahn: Well … I think his band should play Boston more often so I could see them more. [I don’t] know enough about him to give him one of my characteristics.