Pachal, Lorion leave team as Huskies drop a pair

By Kimberly Peterson

They didn’t play the way they wanted to play. They didn’t score the way they thought they would score. Most importantly, they didn’t win. No. 6 New Hampshire thoroughly thrashed Northeastern, sweeping the Huskies last weekend with a pair of 3-0 losses.

“I don’t think that the score was indicative of the game we played. I just think that right now, we’re having a little trouble finding that scoring touch. Kids are trying to adjust. They’re playing hard, it’s just some growing pains right now,” said NU coach Joy Woog. “New Hampshire also has a very large rink and this was the first time that we brought 12 of our players up there. They were a little bit in awe,” said Woog.

The games also marked the team’s first play after the losses of senior captain Pamela Pachal and fellow senior Michelle Lorion. Both were sitting from the team due to a coach’s decision. Now, the Huskies must deal with two of the four seniors on their team being gone.

Saturday’s game had Northeastern trying to salvage a weekend split, but once again they fell short, getting outshot 30-12 and allowing three goals. NU was unable to figure out UNH goalie Jen Huggon, who recorded her eighth shutout of the year.

Friday’s 3-0 contest was much of the same, with the Huskies unable to find the back of the net. Northeastern allowed two quick first period goals at 5:17 and 14:46. The Wildcats weren’t done, and added yet another tally at 10:51 of the second period.

“UNH is a really deep team and they can play three to four solid lines. We needed to concentrate on getting more shots. We need to try and focus on our game,” said senior forward Brooke White.

“We knew that we could stick with them and match them. We just need to start capitalizing on our opportunities. We keep on coming out really hard in first periods and it’s the little mistakes that hurt us,” said White.

The loss puts NU in a three-way tie with Maine and Boston College for the final playoff spot in Hockey East, and both currently hold a game on the Huskies. The Huskies will take on Maine this weekend in a game that could be pivotal in Northeastern’s season.

“I am expecting a tough game. Maine is kind of in the same position we are. We both need wins right now. We have to match their hard work, and try to out work them,” Woog said

Hockey Notes:

Both senior captain Pamela Pachal and senior Michelle Lorion were cut from the team due to a coaches decision according to The Boston Globe.

Pachal, at the time of her dismissal, was second on the team in goals with seven and third in points with 12. Lorion was third on the team in goals with six. Joy Woog did not return repeated phone calls on the matter.