Nathe silently leaves NU

Northeastern hockey coach Bruce Crowder had to reshuffle his defense pairings following the departure of sophomore Bryan Nathe.

Nathe, who had three assists in 16 games for NU this season, left the team to join the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League. Nathe is now no longer eligible to play college hockey.

“It’s easy for us to say it wasn’t a good decision,” said Nathe’s defense partner Brian Sullivan. “But it’s not our decision. It’s his and only he can say whether or not it was right for him.”

Neither Crowder nor Sullivan had any idea that Nathe was unhappy with his surroundings or that he had been contemplating a change of scenery. According to Crowder, Nathe walked into his office on Tuesday and announced he was leaving.

“We were at the team meeting when coach told us he was gone,” said junior forward Trevor Reschny. “I looked over and he wasn’t at his locker. I don’t want to say it was a shock, but it did surprise us.”

Sullivan admitted that no one knew Nathe was thinking of leaving.

“We don’t know if someone on their side was pressuring him into signing,” he said. “We don’t know if there was money involved or anything like that. Coach told us that he wants us to open up and be honest with him. He could have thought his time on the ice would suffer if he told coach. But I don’t think that’s the case.”

Nathe, who had been one of Northeastern’s most reliable defensemen, signed with the Wheat Kings earlier this week and saw action in his first contest.

“I remember growing up and seeing the Beanpot and wanting to play in it,” said Sullivan. “It was my dream to play in Hockey East and play in the Beanpot. But it’s not for everybody and my opinion of whether or not he made the right decision doesn’t matter.”

Neither Reschny nor Sullivan said they were angry at Nathe for leaving, but did say his position would be filled and they would have to play on.

“We have to act like he wasn’t here this year,” Sullivan said. “Everyone has to step it up. I’ve got to step it up. We had Jon Awe and [Jack] Celeta play well this weekend so I don’t think we are hurting in depth.”