Baby got back

Zaftig means a pleasantly plump woman in Yiddish and a delicious meal in Brookline.

Zaftigs Delicatessen is a few blocks from Brookline’s Coolidge Corner off of the C-line. Open since June 1997, Bob and Holly Shuman say their business has grown into a comfortable neighborhood and family friendly spot.

“Zaftigs is a contemporary Jewish-American delicatessen,” said Holly Shuman, co-owner of the restaurant. “From the beginning, my husband Bob Shuman and I have operated the business with a talented and dynamic staff.”

The restaurant was bustling last Sunday with 30 minute waits for parties of two.

“Saturday and Sunday mornings are our busiest meal periods. We usually run an hour long wait starting early in the day,” Shuman said. “Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights are also very busy. We do accept reservations all week long.”

As far as recommendations for food are concerned, there are many favorites on the menu. The apple and Vermont cheddar cheese omelet with home fries and Challah toast is delicious. Although apples are not typically found in omelets, this concoction is uniquely tasty.

“I would have to say we are most popular for our deli sandwiches; corned beef, hot pastrami, real roasted turkey, etc.,” Shuman said. “We sell about 50 gallons of our delicious chicken soup with matzo balls a day, tons of chopped liver and our potato pancakes are a stand out. We get great a response on our banana stuffed french toast from our breakfast menu, which we serve all day.”

The roast beef from the deli, along with other sandwiches, are served with french fries and a large pickle. The meat is fresh, and you can purchase it deli style after your meal.

Customers are greeted with cold water and a plateful of variety bagel chips with cream cheese and chive spread.

The service is quick in order to keep the turnover high. This breakfast spot is perfect for a change from the typical Stetson East omelet and squeaking, burn-inducing toaster oven.

Do yourself a favor and go to the delicatessen where several notable names have eaten.

“We have had the pleasure of serving a few notable guests,” Shuman said. “Katie Couric and her family, Roger Ebert, Bob Kraft and his family are regular guests and James Taylor.”

To get to Zaftigs Delicatessen via the T, take the C-line to Coolidge Corner and walk down to 335 Harvard St. The hours are 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. For reservations call (617)975-0075. They accept American Express, ATM, cash, Diners Club, Discover, gift certificates, MasterCard, traveler’s checks and Visa.