NUPR responds

The editorial in the Jan. 8 edition of The News entitled “Dunkin’ What?,” and the article on the same topic that calls the NU Office of Communications “uninformed.” Perhaps it should be stated that the communications office is primarily responsible for promoting programs, events, faculty, staff and students through the placement of positive stories, op-eds and expert quotes in the mass media. The promotion of a private sector franchise of a corporation such as Dunkin’ Donuts is something to be handled by their own marketing and public relations staff.

We accept that The News considers the opening of a Dunkin’ Donuts in Shillman Hall an issue of high interest on campus. The reporter indeed phoned the communications office looking for information for the story, and was directed toward an appropriate contact, whom she evidently failed to reach for comment. Despite having nothing to report, the story was filed, and an editorial on the topic was also run, calling the communications office “uninformed.”

It seems the uninformed party here is The News and its readers. The News exists to inform the campus community, but in this case chose to focus on the fact that the communications office couldn’t provide the details the reporter sought. “NU News” articles ought to contain just that.

My colleagues and I in the communications office deal with a myriad of requests by members of the media including the NU News, and treat the News staff as we would any professional media outlet. Perhaps if News reporters were better prepared for deadlines when filing stories, they would find the news-writing task a far easier one, and would end up with stories that have something to report.

– Emily Donahue is a PR Specialist

at NUPR