Vargas a new SGA VP

By Steve Babcock

The Student Government Association elected Andres Vargas as the new vice president of Academic Affairs Tuesday in a Joint Senate session.

Vargas, who had been the interm vice president in the fall, ran unopposed.

As the VP of Acadmeic Affairs, Vargas will head the SGA’s Academic Affairs committee, which deals mainly with issues of student involvement in cirriculum, as well as concerns with co-op and other programs the university offers to students.

As he was running unopposed, Vargas was given an opportunity to voice his platform for the upcoming term, which lasts until the conclusion of the current term of all SGA officers in mid-May.

“The first issue is semester conversion,” Vargas said with fervor. “Every student needs to be aware of the changes that are going to take place. The administration has let us down in those areas.”

He went on to illustrate a plan that included a large marketing campaign similar to the campaign the university staged to inform students of the U.S. News and World Report’s ranking of Northeastern as the number one college for internships and cooperative education this fall.

While discussing other areas of his platform, such as co-op and the issue of academic advising, Vargas was equally critical of the administration.

“The administration has given their best effort to reach the students, and has failed miserably,” he said.

Vargas also brought up the resolution which is scheduled to be voted on at Thursday’s meeting, reiterating many of his remarks at last Thursday’s meeting that the “talking needs to stop, and it is time for action.”

Also brought up during the discussion of platform was the current complaints that have been filed by students about the inadaquecies of the Introduction to College classes that are mandatory to all freshmen.

“We’ve had a great deal of complaint that they waste students’ time,” said Vargas. “We’re trying to look into ways to how we can make courses more exciting.”

The election was brought about by the sudden resignation of former Vice President of Academic Affairs Tina Penman at the end of the fall quarter due to her violation of university policy regarding alcohol consumption on campus.

Originally planned for the session was a debate between Vargas, Senator Jason Kravitz, and freshman Senator John Guilfoil, however, both opposing candidates pulled out early this week.

Senator Kravitz, who pulled out due to academic implications that wouldn’t allow him to graduate on time, is part of the main opposition to the Academic Advising resolution. He came out in full support to Vargas, saying, “Part of the reason I feel comfortable leaving is because I know Andres will get the job done … he has earned it.”

SGA President Richard Schwabacher voiced his approval for Vargas in the position, but was discontent with the unopposed election.

“There will be more debates in the future,” he said.