NU honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

By Lisa Kaczke

The dreams of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. are still alive. The 600 people from all over the state who gathered at the Curry Student Center on Monday are proof of that. The National Conference for Community and Justice (NCCJ) held a commemoration of King’s life, offering workshops for all ages in the morning and holding a rally in the afternoon.

“It’s cool that Northeastern gave us this whole center to celebrate this,” said Sheila Mathieu, a volunteer from NCCJ. Her friend, Kafui Tsaku, added, “It teaches kids about diversity and culture. When you think of Dr. Martin Luther King, you think of a leader who did a lot for everyone.”

According to Robert Lewis, Jr., President and Executive Director of NCCJ, the day was the beginning of social justice.

“Differences shouldn’t separate us,” Lewis said.

The day’s activities also had high school students in mind. According to Lewis, it was a way to show the power of young people. “If we build this just society, we must include everyone,” said Lewis.

But activities abounded for everyone involved. The younger children were involved in arts and crafts on the third floor. They painted their own murals about King.

One woman brought her young daughter because she was looking for some way to celebrate the day.

“I become emotional when I think of what he did. He’s a hero who paved the way,” she said.

Students were asked to submit their artwork and poetry into a contest. Each piece of work was to reflect the theme of the day, “Change our World – Be a Drum Major for Peace and Justice.” A room on the fourth floor held the artwork and poetry of the first, second, and third place winners. Third place winner Gloria Alvarez summed up her feelings in the end of her poem, “Black and Proud.”

“I am proud of those who fought peacefully. I am thankful for those who fought for me,” it read.

An oratorical contest, judged by a local business leader, was held in the morning with the winners being announced in the afternoon. The three winners read their speeches throughout the rally. All of them received prizes donated by Timberland and Staples.

A three-hour rally was the excitement of the afternoon. It began with six-year-old James Jackson reciting King’s “I Have a Dream.” After a moment of silence in honor of King, Master of Ceremonies DJ Chubby Chubb and LBD of HOT 97.7 took the stage. The crowd was treated to performances of a dragon dance and singing from several groups. Sociedad Latina got the crowd going by dancing to “Unique Rhythm.”

Jeff Swartz, President and CEO of The Timberland Company, encouraged everyone to love strangers, despite their color. He asked the crowd, “Are Dr. King’s ideas dead or alive?”

State Rep. Gloria Fox encouraged the younger generation to “take the next step” in her energetic speech.

“We are the legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,” Fox said.