Swimming up one Minute, down next

By Ari Strait

The Northeastern swimming and diving team split their first and only weekend of back to back meets of the year, falling to the University of New Hampshire Wildcats Monday after defeating the University of Massachusetts Minutemen the day before.

The 155-145 loss to New Hampshire was decided on the last event of the day. When the 400 freestyle relay began, the Wildcats held a 144-139 advantage. Although Husky swimmers got both second and third place, a first place finish by the Wildcats clinched the victory.

“It was a really tough loss. We knew it might come down to the 400 freestyle relay before the meet even began, and it was disappointing to not pull it out,” junior swimming standout Emily White said, “But New Hampshire is a really good team and we’re definitely pleased with how we played them.”

The meet left coach Roy Coates desiring just a little more from his team. “If you could give me just .18 seconds to use anywhere in the meet, we would’ve won. There were five races we lost by less than two tenths of a second. If we could’ve touched out on one of those, we would’ve won the meet,” he said. “Give UNH credit though, they did a good job.”

Experience could have been a factor in the pressure-filled atmosphere, as the Wildcats put 17 juniors and seniors into the pool to swim against Northeastern’s 10 upperclass swimmers.

The youthful Huskies did put up a good fight, as sophomore diver Adela Gavozdea swept through the one and three meter diving events. Junior Emily White won the 200 butterfly, and freshman Sarah Reddick took the 100 backstroke.

However, their efforts fell just short. This was the first time Northeastern (9-3, 4-1) lost to New Hampshire in any of the last four meetings between these two teams, and the first in-conference loss since the 1998-1999 season.

The meet against the Minutemen (3-4) was the last home meet of the year, and the Huskies’ 131.5 – 108.5 victory put them in position to have their first 10-win season. The last match of the regular season, an away match against Boston College on Jan. 31, will decide whether or not Northeastern has its first ever double-digit win total.

The meet was also Northeastern’s senior day, honoring the swimming and diving team’s seniors.

“It was good to win for them, we raced really well,” White said, “The seniors are all amazing swimmers and we’re really going to miss them.”

Coates elaborated. “It was very emotional, those five seniors have won three championships here. They exemplified what Northeastern swimming is about. They’re leaders, great swimmers and great people,” he said.

Seniors Jessica LaSalle and Jill Vance, swimming in Barletta Natatorium for the last time, won the 25 free and the 200 free, respectively. Reddick, White, Gavozdea, and sophomore Kelly McIsaac were other first-place finishers for the Huskies.

NU next heads to BC for a dual meet. “The BC coach called me and told me that his entire second half of his season is geared towards beating us,” Coates said. “They were not happy about losing to us last year.”