Huskies win two on the ice

They were two games that the Huskies would have no excuses for losing. The other teams weren’t higher ranked, and they weren’t necessarily more talented.

The Huskies knew they had to win, and on Sunday and Tuesday they buried fellow Hockey East rivals Boston College and Maine, 5-4 and 3-0, respectively. The win puts the Huskies in 4th place.

“We needed these two wins to come out of the basement of Hockey East,” said senior Kim Greene.

The Eagles (7-11-3) dominated the first period of Tuesday’s game. BC struck with a goal at 11:03 and followed it up just minutes later for a 2-0 lead. The Huskies were unable to get on the board until 14:44 of the second when freshman Lindsay Snider belted one in, cutting BC’s lead in half.

“We came out today and we were a little slow in the first period, and the second period was amazing for us. We went into the locker room and we just knew we needed to go out there and put the puck in the net,” Green said.

Northeastern was not done. Senior Brooke White tied it up for NU at 9:15, followed shortly after on a wrister from Theresa Ella at 11:38 to give the Huskies a 3-2 lead. Green would score the Huskies next two goals, including the game winner at 16:45 of the second.

“We feel good. We worked together battling back and we just decided to bear down and win as a team,” said White.

The Huskies were off to a good start on Sunday as they made quick work of Maine (6-8-3), led by a superb two-goal performance by White, who has been on a tear as of late. NU took the advantage as she gave her team a one goal lead at 13:22 off of a rebound

“This is what we needed. We talked about it as a team. The kids did a good job. They came out and they did what we asked them to do. They came out and they got the job done,” said coach Joy Woog.

Neither team would strike again until 19:19 of the third as White fired in an empty netter to give her team their first victory in seven games.

“It’s getting more comfortable now, and things are just going my way. I’m deciding that I am going to put the puck in the net, and knowing that, that is my role and I need to step up and be that type of player,” said White.

Husky Notes:

On hand still supporting their team for the game were jousted players Pamela Pachal and Michelle Lorion, barely a week after they were cut from the team.

“What happened was not drastic on our part. It wasn’t like drugs, alcohol or any type of substance abuse. It was just as much a shock for us as it was for anyone else,” said Lorion.