Gay fraternity new at NU

From their name alone you might not be able to distinguish Delta Lambda Phi from other fraternities. But there is a factor that uniquely separates them from the rest: Delta Lambda Phi is a gay fraternity.

Delta was established in 1986 by three elderly gay men who left a trust fund behind in order to start an organization that would not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. These donors expressed regret that such an alternative social organization had not existed during their formative years. In April 1987, the Trustee initiated 24 men into the Brotherhood. The Alpha Chapter of Delta Lambda Phi was born.

According to their website, Delta Lambda’s Phi’s mission is to continue a legacy based on support and brotherhood while creating a safe zone for gay people. Delta Lambda Phi is not a Northeastern-based organization; they are a city wide group with 24 chapters located throughout the United States.

There are other obvious differences as well.

“We don’t haze,” said Casey Giovinco, president of the local chapter and a student at the University of Massachusetts, Boston. “One thing people think about is what do they have to do, with us it’s not about that, it’s more about showing up and being ourselves and getting along, you don’t have to be anything other than yourself.”

Delta Lambda encourages people to get involved in the fraternity.

“I think it helps get out into the city, a lot of students will just do things at their schools, it diversifies your experience,” said Jonathan Dobres, vice-president of the chapter and a student at Boston University.

Delta Lambda Phi does share a similarity with other fraternities: they focus on brotherhood and unity and they also provide community service to outside establishments.

“We are a service organization as well as a social frat. During the pledge process we have to do a community service project,” said Dustin Rennells, pledge master, and a junior at the Art Institute of Boston.

In the past, Delta Lambda Phi has lent their services Boston Living Center, AIDS organizations, and helped serve dinners to the homeless at local churches.

Some students are accepting of this group looking for recruits on Northeastern’s campus.

“We feel any group that can promote awareness is a great idea,” said Jeffrey Averill, co-director of public relations for NUBILAGA. “It’s another specific that can fill a niche.”

A member of an on-campus fraternity shares the sentiment .”A frat has a lot of benefits,” said Anthony Becker, senior psychology major and Alpha Kappa Sigma member.

However, Becker is not ignorant to the opinions some may have about their organization.

“If there is a gay frat on campus, I worry if there would be bad stereotypes because not everyone is gay. It may effect pledges,” he said.

To put this uneasiness to rest, Kevin Massey, sergeant at arms of Delta assures that Delta Lambda does not discriminate.

“We see nothing wrong with accepting a straight person, they just may not feel comfortable,” he said.

Delta Lambda’s mission is to enhance the quality of life among gay, bisexual, and progressive men by providing dignified and purposeful social, service, and recreational activities. But Massey points out another purpose.

“Delta Lambda is a way to make true friendships,” he said.

If this sounds like an organization that you want to join, the members of Delta Lambda Phi encourage you to find out more. For additional inquiries, visit their website at www.DLP.org/AlphaChi. For those who are interested in rushing, rush week will take place from January 27- February 8.