Divine intervention gives PC the sweep

By Kimberly Peterson

Another weekend, another pair of devastating losses for Northeastern women’s hockey team.

The Huskies played 10th-ranked Providence College last weekend and were once again shut down by the Hockey East power house, 3-1 on Sunday preceded by an 2-0 shutout.

“I felt that every person out on that ice gave 100 percent, obviously we would have liked the W, but they played hard,” said coach Joy Woog.

Once again it was Northeastern goalie Chanda Gunn, who kept her team in the game as the Huskies were outshot 26 to 19. On Saturday, the junior tied her high of 46 saves for the third time this season, placing her third in the country in save percentage.

“I feel fortunate that I actually get the opportunity to help my team and make the saves that count,” said Gunn. “I enjoy being able to make the saves and be a real part of the game.”

NU (7-13-2) kept it close on Sunday and even came out of the first period with a 1-1 tie. For the Huskies, it was freshman Rebecca Peters power play goal at 18:29 that got them on the board first. Peters sent a rocket in on goal from the top of the left circle. Their lead would not last, however, as PC (13-5-6) came back at 18:50 to tie the game up.

Despite their efforts, the Huskies had problems in their own zone, and Providence was there to capitalize on their mistakes. The end result was a 3-1 loss for NU.

“I thought it was the best game we had played all year. We just really worked hard and had some quality chances,” said Woog.

Northeastern was unable to break through Friars goalie Jana Bugden on Saturday, as they managed just nine shots on goal through the skirmish.

“You can never give up in a game,” said Gunn. “You go into every game thinking that it is a game you can win.”

NU only had a combined total of 28 shots over the weekend, which averaged 14 shots per game. With the season more than half over, something needs to be done about the production to stay out of the league cellar.

After losing two of their top players were dismissed, the verdict is still out on how well the squad can deal with and overcome such misfortunes.

“We have dealt with a lot adversity this season but nobody has had the opportunity to see what goes on behind the scenes and see how we have grown as individuals,” said Gunn.

The Huskies next challenge will be Wayne State this coming Friday. Northeastern has played well against them in the past. Even with a few wins under their belt, however, this is a team that NU does not know that well.

Tuesday will bring the Huskies face to face with Boston College in the first round of the Beanpot Tournament. The first round this year will count toward the regular season, further adding to the critical nature of the matchup.

Husky Notes:

On hand for the Huskies’ loss to Providence College was Patty Kazmaier award winner Brooke Whitney. She was in attendance for yet another ceremony, this time to celebrate her record setting play for NU last year.