Source says Woog hit player

Northeastern coach Joy Woog allegedly hit a member of the women’s hockey team during a practice, according to a source close to the team. The source cited a number of other incidents of mistreatment caused by the third-year coach.

According to the source, many players from the team have voiced their concerns about Woog in the past three years.

According to the source, Woog cornered the player into the boards before striking the athlete in the shoulder twice. After the alleged incident, the source stated that the player struck was left crying.

“There is no truth behind any of the allegations, but the university has requested that I make no comment,” said Woog.

The source also stated that in a meeting with the athletic department, the physical incident was revealed to officials.

“As far as we’re concerned there were no incidents of physical abuse,” said Northeastern Director of Athletics, Dave O’Brien, who also denied any knowledge of wrongdoing on the part of Woog. “We’ve met with the entire team on two separate occasions, as well as meetings with individuals.”

According to the source, several players were concerned about harassing and obscene e-mails and phone calls to those players on the team. The phone messages were heard by a number of people, while the e-mails were saved, the source said.

The source also cited an incident involving fraudulent signature sheets. The sheets are given to the players to record the hours they have spent towards the sport. According to the source, a player had refused to sign the sheets because the hours for the week were incorrect. The hours were never presented by Woog. After debating on whether to sign the sheet, the player elected to do so only to find that Woog duplicated the signature on previous sheet and changed the date, said the source.

This allegation comes on the heels of another incident in the NU locker room where two NU players were dismissed by Woog.

Woog also maintained that the accusations were baseless. “People are trying to make it a situation,” Woog said. “There were two cancers on our team and they were removed. We are not the ones who are making this an issue. We are moving forward and playing hockey.”

O’Brien concurred, noting that the department had been through several weeks of interviews with players on the team, and will continue to do so. “We’ve talked to everyone associated with the team in any way, and will continue to do so,” O’Brien said. “We believe the team is headed in the right direction now.

“Over the last two weeks we have been meeting with the team collectively to address their concerns,” he added.

– Northeastern News staff members Jack Weiland and Andy Cuneo contributed to this report.