McConaughey’s new romance

By Briyah Paley

Matthew McConaughey has finally delivered what girls have been waiting for — a “chick flick” which guys will enjoy too. His new movie, “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days,” opens in theaters this Friday.

The film also stars Hollywood starlet Kate Hudson who plays Andie Anderson, a journalist who is assigned a story which requires that she must meet a guy, have him fall in love with her and then dump her in 10 days. What she doesn’t know is that this unsuspecting male, Ben Barry (McConaughey), has just bet a friend that he can stay in a relationship for more than 10 days.

“They get together because they both decide to play a game,” said McConaughey during an interview with The News. “And we all play games.”

When asked if the 10 year age difference between him and Hudson bothered him, he said, “No, not at all. It still worked. You believe it. There’s no breach of reality with that.”

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days,” which was filmed in Toronto and New York, is the latest in a string of romantic comedies McConaughey has starred in. The 33-year-old actor wooed J.Lo in “The Wedding Planner” and Jenna Elfman in “EdTV.”

Next, he will star opposite Kate Beckinsale in “Tiptoes.”

Is there a pattern here?

“I’ve got one rule, one strategy, to mix it up,” McConaughey said. “I love to travel and do different things.”

In an upcoming film that is currently untitled, McConaughey said he will go back to his hippie persona which he displayed in the popular 1990’s flick “Dazed and Confused.”

These days, McConaughey, who splits his time between a ranch in Texas and his new house in Hollywood, has been busy decorating his new place and running his production company JK (Just Key) Living. He would also like to travel more.

“I like countries where they don’t speak English,” he said.

As for what he’s looking for in a relationship, McConaughey referred to the new film.

“You’ve got to have your own mind time. I want you to want to have your time. If you can’t, then it’s probably not gonna work out,” he said.

In the film, McConaughey’s character says, “I’m not cocky, but confident.”

He admits he is a lot like that in real life.

So how does Hudson measure up to Jennifer Lopez?

“Both are fun in different ways,” said McConaughey. “Kate was very playful with all the scenes. None were the same. Jennifer could do a take in two minutes, six seconds, and the next in two minutes and five seconds.”

Also a writer, he scripted “The Rebel,” in 1998. McConaughey is working on writing a fairytale at the moment. But what’s really on his mind is playing host on Saturday Night Live this weekend.

“I’m supposed to be nervous,” he said. “Right?”