Man on the Street: Dede Booth

By Margarita Neplokh

Clothing should be worn in confidence; the clothing should not be wearing you. Dede Booth was spotted by The Northeastern News walking to her apartment in West Campus wearing an army green Bomber jacket and dark boot cut jeans. The combination of a sporty jacket and straight leg denim gave her a casual, but professional appearance. The look combined a sharp crafty sensibility with a professional demeanor which can translate from school to office and could be seen in the east or west coast fashion files. An easy approach to dressing, not to stand out, yet be noticed ever so slightly. Booth hails from Arlington and is a junior studying Music Industry who enjoys writing and playing the drums.

The Northeastern News: Does fashion play an important role in your college environment?

Dede Booth: I guess it does, in a sense that I see it everywhere, but it is not an important part for me.

The News: Is there something fashion wise that mimics your personality, that makes you feel comfortable, let it be a good fun day or a horrible midterm filled rainy day … the one piece that is so substantial that you do not have to think about it ?

Booth: The jackets that I wear, I think, that a jacket can accessorize anything you have on, a good looking jacket can make you look more presentable, no matter what you have on.

The News: Of the two fabrics that are always big for jackets, do you prefer the all-American standard denim or the ever-French leather jackets?

Booth: I have gone through phases. I had a really big leather phase, but I think denim suits my personality more.

The News: Do you think Northeastern has a certain style to it?

Booth: I definitely think that the majority of the people on this campus would be considered the sporty all-American type. It is tough to find somebody who stands out on this campus.

The News: How would you describe yourself, if you saw yourself on the street?

Booth: I would say, a girl who dresses to be unnoticed, but you know that there is something there at the same time. I like to dress to make myself feel comfortable about myself. I just pick out what I like.

The News: Does Boston influence the way you dress?

Booth: I think it is just a little bit of everything, being around so many different types of friends who dress differently; I think that plays a role in it.

The News: You mentioned that you play drums, does being a performer effect the way you dress?

Booth: At first, it was not really important to me, but now I am becoming more serious with it and I want to get out there more. I think about the look I am going to have in front of everyone. How I can impress people with not just how I play, even though that is the most important part, but also with how I am going to look.

The News: Do you feel Boston enables you to dress really well, due to the fact that the weather is very gloomy and there is a conservative standard to Boston; does this make you want to dress different?

Booth: The weather definitely plays a part in it. The weather is weird, you never know what it’s going to be like and if you do dress differently people look at you in a certain way which may make you feel uncomfortable.

The News: What is your stand on fashion magazines, do you think that they are damaging to a person’s personality and detrimental to their self esteem?

Booth: I think they give a lot of women ideas which allow them to be creative and show them that they could dress in the fashions the magazine provides.