My version of conversion

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it is time to speak of the issue at hand – advising.

I know it sounds boring and mundane, but the fact of the matter is that if you want to graduate on time, you have to see your advisor.

To lead by example, I got up early yesterday morning and went to meet with Gail Stubbs, who works in the Dean of Arts and Sciences office as the associate director of academic administrative services. Her title is a mouthful, but she knows her stuff. To get me on the right track for semester conversion, Stubbs printed out my Degree Audit Reporting System report. DARS is a computerized program that will map out the conversion process for the student, making it possible to see what has been fulfilled and what is still required. DARS is also monitored and maintained by the Registrar’s Office. This system is centralized so that the entire university can use it as a tool for conversion.

The process is not intensive and does not take a huge chunk of time out of your day. I will admit is it overwhelming and confusing at first, but this is why advising is essential. With the help of your faculty advisor, the DARS printout and an advisor from your school/college, you are set.

If you are a student in the College of Computer and Information Science or the College of Engineering, things are even easier. Chances are your conversion is easy to map, due to the lack of electives needed to graduate. An easy way to gauge how intensive your advising process will be is to analyze how many electives are required for your degree. Arts and Sciences tops the list and requires individual attention for each students which is time consuming, and frustrating for the advisor.

As of now, the frustration looms over advisor’s heads.

Mary Mello, the director of academic student services in the College of Arts and Sciences, told me that a sense of urgency has fallen onto the advisors shoulders. Folks, here’s the kicker – they can not do their job advising unless you show up.

Oh, and by the way, there are not enough advisors to spread out among all of the students.

Think about that. There are not enough advisors to go around. How is that possible? I would like to think that someone along the way would have pointed that out.

Nope. Instead, more hours have been added. More hours heaped onto the same advisors is a disaster waiting to happen. Think about One Meserve Hall as a nuclear reactor with Homer Simpson at the helm -a meltdown is inevitable.

To prevent a complete catastrophe, go early, make an appointment today. The deadline for fall registration is May 20, a few months away. After the deadline, it is all downhill, semesters or bust.

Okay, I know where you are going to take this, “I tried to make an appointment and my advisor is booked solid for the next month.” Well, you are not alone my friend – especially if you are in the College of Business Administration. Speaking of which, let’s do another mathematical equation, seeing that you did such a great job last week. Here it goes: approximately 3,330 students divided by “6.5 advisors” equals … wait, who the hell is the .5?

Ask the dean, Ira Weiss. He can be reached at extension 3239. Dean Weiss addressed the question of advising at the Provost’s Luncheon on Monday afternoon (key word – addressed, not answered). So, I say give ole’ Ira a ring if you are having trouble getting your foot in the door. If that doesn’t work, call Provost Abdelal at extension 4517. I am serious. Do not settle for mediocrity.

Every student is responsible for their own education, there is no excuse for laying blame. If one level of the system fails, move on to the next.

As Mary Mello said, “There is no one size fits all here.”

Go see your advisor and try semester conversion on for size.