The ball is in your court

They are concerned, anxious and hungry. They are awaiting May 20, although they wish to get the job done prior to the D-day of registering for classes.

The ‘they’ happens to be the College of Arts and Sciences advising staff and the dean. I sat down with Dean James Stellar and Interim Associate Dean Bruce Ronkin this week to discuss semester conversion. To be honest, I was surprised.

As each week passes, semester conversion looms closer. As the focus is repeatedly put on advising and academic planning, the real deadline for the calendar conversion is May 20, the day when the registrar will close scheduling for the fall semester to students. And as each week passes, deans, advisors and some students grow more anxious that this ‘thing’ may not come together.

Not James Stellar.

He is convinced that the conversion, as far as Arts and Sciences goes, will be seamless. Dean Stellar has begun to plan for the year after the conversion what he calls the “fun” part, implementing new curriculum.

The College of Arts and Sciences has been looked upon by other colleges and schools on campus as the hard case. With so many electives offered to its students, scheduling can become difficult, let alone converting credits and curriculum to mirror a student’s needs. Nay sayers beware, Stellar begs to differ.

“We have changed our advising to reflect more expertise,” he said. “We are building up our advisors so that they can answer the questions that students have. We recognize that students need to get specific information about them.”

Enthusiasm aside, picture this: Good ole’ Jim Stellar waiting in Meserve with open arms, with a fleet of advisors behind him, just waiting to sit a student down, run a DARS report and send them on their way, down the yellow-brick road of semester conversion. And then, there you are. Wait. No. You aren’t there, nowhere to be seen. Jimbo is left hanging.

But it isn’t that easy. He’s waiting for you.

“We won’t relax until the students do,” he said. “We’re going to do it within reasonable limits hold you harmless.”

Do you realize what those reasonable limits are? Dragging your butt into see your advisor. If you cannot make time to schedule a time, make time to get a quick dose of advising on Thursday during activities period (11:45-1:25) in the McKloed Suites on the third floor of the student center. College of Arts and Sciences as well as the Student Government Association will give a brief presentation on the conversion and advising process.

It’s easy. So, throw on some sneakers and “just do it.”