Former football coach’s son passes away

The son of former Northeastern football coach Barry Gallup was involved in a fatal car accident last weekend in Wellesley.

Darren Gallup, a football star and all state-selection as tailback for Belmont Hill School, lost control of his Jeep while coming home from a friend’s house around midnight on Saturday morning.

Gallup, the oldest of three, flipped his car while making a 270-degree turn on the icy intersection of Grove Street and Dover Road in Wellesley, police said.

The National Merit Scholar was planning on playing football at Harvard starting in the fall. He was also selected to play in the annual Shriner’s Game, which showcases Massachusetts’ most talented high school football players. Gallup was also a member of the lacrosse and hockey teams at the school.

Visiting hours will be at the George F. Doherty and Sons Funeral Home, 477 Washington St. (Rte. 16), on Monday from 3-8 p.m. The funeral service will be held at the Belmont Hill School’s main gymnasium, 350 Prospect St., Belmont, on Tuesday at 1 p.m. (changed from 11 a.m.). Interment will be at the Woodlawn Cemetery in Wellesley.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Darren D. Gallup Scholarship Fund, c/o Belmont Hill School, 350 Prospect St., Belmont, MA 02478.

The senior Gallup left Northeastern University after the 1999 season to take the position of director of football at Boston College.