Sophomore starts own record company

By Diana Dopfel

Sophomore Keith Decoons was your average high school student. He had his academics and activities to keep him busy, he played a little guitar and mixed music for his friends.

While his older brothers went on to Princeton and Notre Dame, Decoons’ prestigious hopes for his future were a little less traditional. Although these hopes included college, Decoons’ mind was set on one thing: Boston.

To Decoons, Boston was a bigger-than-average college town full of endless possibilities. The music scene was ubiquitous and Northeastern was the place to go.

Today, Decoons is the president of Saurus Entertainment, a company which he established in his freshman year at Northeastern. Saurus Entertainment recruits musicians from Northeastern, Berklee College of Music, and the Boston area to provide services in concert production and promotion, artist development and management.

“I created Saurus Entertainment so that students at Northeastern could get their hands wet in the music industry even if they’re not on co-op,” said Decoons. “We pride ourselves in having built relationships with many prominent music industry representatives that will work together with Saurus Entertainment to enhance the careers of the artists that join us.”

At first glance, such an endeavor seems like more than your average college sophomore with a marketing major and music industry minor can handle. But his ambitions are strong and his goals are high, and Decoons finds a way to make things happen.

Decoons originally worked with the Council of University Programs, CUP, in an attempt to bring musical acts to the Northeastern campus. Finding that CUP wasn’t offering all that he needed, particularly in funding, Decoons turned to his friends for money to bring a band from his hometown, Granian, into Speare Hall. Decoons collected $250 and pulled it off.

Seeing this concert’s success, the Resident Student Association began to provide funds to bring other musicians to campus. Last year, acoustic rock musicians Matt Nathanson and Ari Hest appeared in Stetson East and afterHOURS, respectively.

“It was amazing sitting across from Matt Nathanson in the dining hall,” Decoons said. “And he loved it.”

Through various connections made in the music industry, Decoons has found himself on the television program MTV Hits, as well as on ten episodes of MTV’s Beatseekers, where he participated in discussions about pop culture.

Decoons even gallivanted through New York City with Mike Myers and Beyonce Knowles for the premier of Austin Powers in “Goldmember.”

Decoons’ successes in the industry eventually led to the launch of Saurus Entertainment.

Today, Decoons is looking to build the Saurus Entertainment team with motivated students who want to get involved in the music industry. He is also scouting out new talent to add to his repertoire. The Laura Glyda Band, based at Northeastern, is currently working with Saurus Entertainment in an effort to expand their performance market.

Saurus Entertainment currently uses guerrilla marketing,done primarily though e-mail and Internet message boards.

The company offers such things as artist Web site design, Internet banner design and buddy icons, as well as “The Big Gig,” a marketing plan established to bring students from Northeastern University and the Berklee College of Music together in a hands-on music industry experience. Decoons hopes that he may introduce these new musicians to Boston’s greatest resources, including venues, college radio stations and independent record labels.

“They are definitely big ideas,” Decoons said, “but I believe that in time, slowly but surely and with everyone’s help, it can be done.”

Northeastern students wishing to get involved would be placed on the Saurus team based on their interests and abilities. There is a need for talent in many areas, including graphic design, marketing, management, music and music industry. Decoons hopes the students at Northeastern will help to establish Saurus Entertainment as a truly living and breathing entity on campus.

“My ultimate goal is to get the company off the ground before I turn 21 this August,” Decoons said. “Before I can legally get into the bars to see the performance.”

One day, Decoons wants students thinking of attending Northeastern to consider Saurus Entertainment as a factor in their decision.

“The best feeling is going to bed knowing there’s work to be done the next day,” said Decoons, who morphs from naturally shy and nervous to strong and suave in the face of professionalism.

Ari Hest will be performing in the Stetson West Lobby 7 p.m. Feb. 26.