Club owners say tragedy an unlikely occurance

After Thursday, freshman Katherine Hopkins is going to be more aware when heading out for a night at the clubs.

Though the cardio-pulminary major doesn’t visit clubs very often, she does go occasionally and is noting the exit signs now that the recent tragedies of Chicago and Warwick, R.I. have sent shockwaves through the nation.

“I think I would definitely be careful of how many people were in there,” Hopkins said. “And I would definitely check out where the exits are now.”

Many area college students, including NU students, are staples of the Boston club scene every weekend. But, after a tragic development in Warwick that left 97 people dead and more than 100 more injured, students don’t feel quite as safe.

The popular 80s band Great White allegedly chose to use pyrotechnics in their show Thursday night at a Warwick club, The Station, without requesting the establishment’s permission. A malfunction with the pyrotechnics sent flames speeding through the club as the entire building was consumed in a fiery blaze within a matter of minutes.

But much like the terror threats the U.S. is facing every day, many students choose to live their lives rather than dwell on the past.

Middler Aaron Dillard agrees about being careful, but he said it wasn’t going to control his life.

“I’m not [concerned] because it just happened one time,” he said. “It doesn’t mean it’s going to keep happening.”

The truth is, many students aren’t sure what to expect. Thursday’s tragedy has raised more than a few eyebrows about how the safety and welfare of nightclub patrons are going to be improved.

“I think it’s a case of poor management,” said Jillians manager Sean Davis.

AfterHOURS’ new manager Ryan Gleason agreed.

“From what I’ve heard, it sounds like it was a blatant disregard of the policies of that club.”

Davis also points out that Jillians’ security and customer safety has always been very good and he doesn’t see much need for panic.

“I think we’re pretty solid with that,” he said. “We’re always careful, and I don’t think the recent events have changed anything. We don’t have flammable objects and you can see all the exits. Are we going to change our modus-operandi? I don’t think so.”

Still, some say the use of pyrotechnics should be banned.

“I don’t think they should use them in small, small venues,” said junior Lauren Beal.

Gleason enjoys having small bands play at his student center club, but he makes sure that the band members are aware of all security measures, including taking care of Beal’s fear.

“All our policies are outlined in a contract before they go on stage,” Gleason said. “We don’t allow [pyrotechnics] in our place. Some bands use some of our equipment because it may be compatible to theirs.”

There are students who are not phased by the recent events and have gone about their business.

Freshman computer science major Adam Mitchell does not worry about the tragedies in Warwick and Chicago, and is determined to not let it affect his life.

“I don’t think it’s going to happen again,” Mitchell said. “They made a mistake. If I did go to clubs, it’s not like I’d be worrying about being trapped. I might be more conscious of the exits.”

Gleason is happy about afterHOURS because of the numerous exits throughout the club.

Many clubs, including some in Rhode Island, are beginning to strictly enforce capacity limits in lieu of recent events.

“I went to Providence last weekend, and we didn’t get in because the police and fire marshals were kicking everyone out,” said Ellen Lassiter, a freshman history major. “I haven’t been since then but before that, I felt safe.”

Senior Mike Santos doesn’t agree.

“There’s no chance that if a fire breaks out that everyone’s getting out of there,” he said.

Gleason is hoping that the students at NU will not dwell on the recent tragedies and continue to enjoy his club. He feels that since the students have an extra set of law enforcement in the form of campus police, they won’t be concerned.

“I wouldn’t expect attendance to dwindle,” he said. “I think that because this is a campus environment, there won’t be many concerns.”

“I hope it doesn’t [change anything],” he said. “I hope that when people come here, they’re confident that everything is safe because we’re very solid in doing so,” said Davis.

– News correspondents Stephanie Vosk and

Bradley Rosenberg

contributed to this report