Northeastern officials confirm CAC overtures

The Colonial Athletic Conference has contacted the Northeastern Athletic Department about possibly moving the men’s basketball team from its present home, the America East Conference, according to Associate Athletic Director Jack Grinold.

“Our only comment is that we’ve had an inquiry and we’ve taken it under advisement,” Grinold said.

The biggest of the ramifications for the AE would be the loss of revenue from the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. Because of the NCAA regulation that states a conference must have six-member schools for a minimum of five years to receive an automatic bid to the tournament, America East would be one team short of the minimum without NU. Therefore, the biggest loser in the possible defection of the Huskies would be Boston University, who triumphed in the conference tournament last year, and looks poised to repeat that feat again.

If the men’s basketball team left the league, America East would be shorted $1 million next year, and up to $5 million over the next three seasons.

AE assistant commissioner Matt Bourque admits the consequences of losing Northeastern.

“Obviously, basketball is tied into that and the money that comes from the CBS appearance, and no question, it’s what we base our whole livelihood on,” he said to the Daily Free Press.

If the possible jump is made by NU, both, the football team (Atlantic-10 Conference) and hockey teams (Hockey East) will stay in their respective conferences.

The football team already plays in a conference with five CAC schools (Delaware, James Madison, Hofstra, Towson, and William and Mary).

Two years ago, Hofstra University, Towson University and the University of Delaware all left the America East for the CAC.

A President’s meeting held Feb. 21 was scheduled to bring all present AE school presidents together with the remaining AE schools attempting to convince NU to stay, according to Bourque.