Men’s track finishes 3d in Championships

By Bradley Rosenberg

Going into the America East Championships Friday, Northeastern had a three-meet winning streak and a three-year run of indoor titles with high hopes of raising that streak to four. Come Saturday, however, the team’s hopes were dashed. Albany claimed the title with 148 points, host Boston University took second with 124 points, and Northeastern placed third with 119.5 points.

Coach Sherman Hart was not disappointed, though.

“I thought it was a good meet,” he said. “All the teams were competitive. We had a good day, but Albany and BU had a super day.”

When asked why the team wasn’t as successful as they had planned to be, Hart said that “we just weren’t clicking on all the cylinders,” but that he won’t dwell on it because it’s something that he can’t change.

“It’s over,” he said. “Now let’s go [focus on next week and] do what we have to do. No matter what happened this week, we have to remember what we did wrong and correct it.”

Of course, Hart did acknowledge that some things were done right at the meet, such as junior Derek Anderson’s record-setting throw of 55’11.75 feet in the shot put, sophomore sprinter Idris Payne’s record-setting runs of 47.47 seconds in the 400-meter run and 21.76 in the 200-meter. Because of his record smashing performance, Payne was named the meet’s Most Outstanding Track Performer.

“Idris Payne had an exceptional day,” commented Hart.

As for Anderson, who, in addition to his shot put victory, took second in the weight throw, Hart was proud of him, but also believes that “Anderson has been stepping up the last couple of weeks, [his great performance] was almost expected of him.”

Other strong performances came from freshman vaulter Aaron Hill, who cleared 15’3″ to triumph in the pole vault, and senior thrower Vinny Tortorella, who took first in the weight throw and third in the shot put.

Tortorella doesn’t feel that his showing was good enough.

“I’m not really too satisfied with my performance,” he said. “I don’t think that I was performing at my peak level.”

Despite his dissatisfaction, Tortorella still feels happy for Anderson, his fellow thrower.

“I think he did very well,” said Tortorella. “He came out with intensity and he performed like he had to.”

While Tortorella has shattered three throwing records himself this season, he knows Anderson’s throw was especially important.

“An American East record is a pretty big thing,” he said.

As for the rest of the team, Tortorella believes that the championship meet was only a temporary setback.

“We didn’t perform our best,” Tortorella said, “but we can still look forward to a big outdoor season.”

Anderson agrees.

“We’re a young team,” Anderson said. “I think if we get a little more intensity and experience in here, we’ll be fine. I saw a lot of great effort and a lot of heart out here. I think that’s all you can ask for.”

Anderson also added that, despite Tortorella’s disappointment with his performance, he knows that “Vinny will come back next week and throw even farther.

“I think Vinny has had a wonderful season for himself,” he said. “I’m not worried about next week.”

It’s obvious that the team, eager to recover from the sting of Saturday’s outcome, is looking forward to next week’s meet.

Additionally, so is Hart.

“We’re going to be in the hunt next week,” said Hart. “I’m not disappointed with [the American East Championship] placing because I know the team is young, and I know that it won’t happen too many times. We’ll get back at [Albany and Boston University]. That’s a promise.”

The next meet, which is for the New England Championship, is on Feb. 28 and March 1 at BU.