Winter Weekend brings SNL star Darrell Hammond to NU

By Lauren Rouleau

Winter Weekend, a tradition on Northeastern’s campus for four years, is back again to breathe a gust of life into an otherwise lifeless winter.

Expected for the festivities on Friday, Feb. 28, is a dinner and dancing cruise on The Spirit of Boston, a large cruiser that tours the Boston Harbor while its occupants ride in its main dining/dancing cabin. The cruise departs from the World Trade Center dock and starts loading at 6:30 p.m. and will return by 10 p.m.

Alongside the cruise is the traditional night with a well-known comedian. This year, the Council for University Programs, (CUP) has scheduled Darrell Hammond, a Saturday Night Live veteran, best known for his impersonations of such political figures as former President Bill Clinton and the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Hammond will perform in Blackman Auditorium in Ell Hall starting at 8 p.m. on Saturday, March 1.

Ticket sales began Monday.

The event costs $25 for both events per person, $20 for the dinner cruise only and $10 for Darrell Hammond’s performance.

Last year’s festivities included a Spirit of Boston cruise and the stand-up comedy of Margaret Cho.

The first annual winter weekend, in 2000, featured a Spirit of Boston cruise and a performance from Naughty By Nature in Blackman Auditorium.

For more information you can visit CUP’s Web site, cup.neu.edu.