Husky on the Street

By Margarita Neplokh

Fashion: it comes and goes with every new season and trend. The low rise jean, the platform shoe — clothing styles that gradually change over the decades, but at the same time come back to reinvent themselves years later. Attending Northeastern University lets the student experience the many fashion possibilities that one may encounter while living in a college town, which brings us to our new Husky on the Street, or shall we say Woman on the Street.

Hee Young Kang who hails from South Korea, embodies the sentiments of fashion past, present, and future. Wearing styles from different genres shows her range, style, and acceptance of different trends.

The News spotted Hee Young wearing a nubby short white fur coat with a knee length black skirt and Christian Dior messenger bag. This is her first year at Northeastern and she is studying communications.

The Northeastern News: Being that this is your first year living at Northeastern, how has fashion changed for you since moving from South Korea?

Hee Young Kang: In South Korea I don’t dress like this. I really like fashion design, so I try to dress fashionable. I love to wear tank tops in the summer and fur coats right now.

The News: Do you think fashion at Northeastern is interesting?

Kang: Yes, I like the way people dress here. I like the way they dress up. I like to wear skirts and there are so many girls who wear skirts at Northeastern, people dress really well.

The News: When you go shopping, what do you look for?

Kang: When I go shopping I look for new, fashionable clothes, new releases. I like shopping, so I go for tank tops or just skirts.

The News: Do you have any favorite designers?

Kang: I like Christian Dior [designed by John Galliano].

The News: What you see on the runway? Is it manageable to wear or do you take a piece of the runway and incorporate it into your wardrobe?

Kang: Usually when I go to Christian Dior, I just look for his great designs and I buy that. I like the whole outfit, whenever I just wear a tank top I have no idea how to wear it by itself.

The News: You like such a high profile designer, do you think that magazines portray these fashions well toward college students, such as students at Northeastern?

Kang: Yes, since I buy a lot of fashion magazines, I see a lot of different fashions. They also have pictures of girls on the street, which is similar. I sometimes cut out the pictures and use them for myself.

The News: Do you think these fashions that you cut out are similar to what you see at Northeastern and on the streets of Boston?

Kang: Yes, definitely.