Gala showcases cultural diversity

By Kaitlin Thaney

A culturally diverse crowd of students came together in the Curry Student Center Ballroom Friday for the Sixth Annual International Gala Night, just one part of the 2003 International Carnevale. The Carnevale is presented by the International Student ‘ Scholar Institute (ISSI) from Feb. 1 to April 24.

The Masters of Ceremonies for the night were Swati Mathur, a native of India, and Jorge Sanchez, from the United States. The ISSI invited the audience to embark on “a journey of excitement and splendor.” As the festivities got under way, the house lights dimmed and the music of a Mexican Mariachi band filled the room. All eyes were fixed on the makeshift stage complete with a runway extending into the audience.

The event focused on increasing intercultural awareness through 13 performances ranging from Mexican and Spanish to West African dance. Adding to the authenticity of the night were brightly colored garb from the various countries and music from around the world.

Some minor technical difficulties early in the night slowed the pace slightly, but the performers were not deterred and their music and dance quickly grabbed the attention of the audience. Maglalatik, a mock war dance from the Philippines, was performed a capella due to those technical difficulties, but still managed to enthuse the crowd.

Kate Dehey, a freshman psychology major, said the gala opened a whole new world for her.

“Coming from a small town in Massachusetts where there isn’t much cultural diversity, International Gala Night really opened my eyes to a world I’d never seen before.” Dehey said. “Even though there were some problems in the beginning, the night was refreshing and a great way to spend part of my Friday night.”

Beginning with the Mariachi band, the program then shifted to folkloric dance from Palestine performed by Zaitoun, a Boston-based dance group. Zaitoun performed a dance called Dabke, which has come to be a symbol of pride, strength, and resilience for Palestinians. The next cultural experience for the audience came when interpretive dances from Thailand and West Africa seized their attention.

The sounds of a Setar, a stringed instrument, and a Tombak, a goblet drum, echoed in the Ballroom in the form of Iranian music during the next performance. This type of music is known for its improvisational nature. Later, a compilation of various dance styles from the United States took center stage.

Following the dance performances, a flag parade weaved its way through the Ballroom as flags from Latin American countries were showcased along with Brazilian and salsa dancing. Also showcased Friday night were music and dance from African, Middle Eastern and Indian countries.

UTSAV, Northeastern’s Indian and South Asian Student Organization, also contributed a performance of “Bollywood,” a compilation of popular Hindi film tunes with the two dancers acting out scene as they moved to the music. UTSAV is a Sanscrit word meaning “festival.”

Last in the program was a fashion show reflecting the different cultures represented at Northeastern.

Sanchez’ description of the event was straight and to the point.

“It showcases various arts,” he said.

The International Gala Night was a cultural collaboration of students, staff, and members of the Boston community to bring forth their talents and individual cultures in a showcase for the public.