Swimming standout White raises the bar for Northeastern

By Ari Strait

Junior Emily White has had her share of success on the college level. She broke a school record on her first event in her first meet at Northeastern University, took home the Team MVP award as a freshman, and has been a member of four consecutive America East championship teams.

All of these accomplishments stem from a very supportive and experienced, childhood.

“I swam in my first meet when I was three,” says White. “It was a six and under meet, and I swam the 25 backstroke. I guess you could say I’ve been swimming for 17 years, but I’ve been swimming seriously for only 10.”

Hailing from Hartland, Wisconsin, where she grew up with a triad of swimming coaches in her mother, father, and grandfather, both White and her younger brother enjoy a tremendous amount of family encouragement as competitive swimmers.

“My parents are definitely a huge influence, and really supportive,” she said. “Especially my dad, he’s such an amazing coach. My dad used to be at every single meet. He was the coach for my club team, and all throughout high school. It was eight practices a week, and being the coach’s kid wasn’t the easiest thing.

“I think my biggest role models are my dad and my grandpa,” said White.

All that club swimming was in addition to swimming on Arrowhead High School’s team, where White established herself as both an All-State and All-American swimmer in her senior year. Personally, however, she believes she made the biggest progress after high school.

“I was honestly not that good in high school. I have improved the most since I came to Northeastern. I think changing my environment helped a lot. I was swimming in Wisconsin forever. I came here, and no one knew me. My dad’s an incredible coach, but doing different stuff with [head coach] Roy [Coates] was really cool. Since I wasn’t that good in high school, when I started doing well here I got really excited,” she said.

In fact, White was brought to Northeastern for an entirely different event than the one she currently swims.

“I was recruited as a backstroker. Senior year Roy signed me as a backstroker, and I told him I was training as a fly swimmer,” she said.

It wasn’t long before Coates changed his mind.

“Then I broke the school record on the first swim, and he kept me in that. You don’t really pick your events. You just do what you’re good at. Sometimes I wish I was a sprinter. I can’t do breaststroke to save my life. Butterfly is my primary stroke,” she said.

That same butterfly stroke created what White calls her favorite swimming memory.

“Last summer I got to swim next to Jenny Thompson. She’s won the most gold medals in swimming for any female. I was at a meet at Long Island, seeded 14th. Only the top 10 get to swim, and I qualified second, after her. I got to swim next to her. That’s probably my favorite swimming memory,” she said.

Additionally, swimming has complemented and improved other aspects of her life. The projected class of 2005 graduate is pursuing a degree in music industry.

“Music is a huge part of my life. I couldn’t do the music stuff without swimming. Right now, I work at WBCN. All the amazing things I’ve done with music are because of swimming. It teaches you so much leadership and confidence,” she said.

One might wonder whether nearly two decades of competition, an athlete’s drive could burn out. The novelty factor might have declined, and there is always the drawbacks of such a packed schedule.

“Some of the excitement has faded. Freshman and sophomore year, college swimming was a new thing. But I still get excited for big meets.

“It definitely cuts into the social life. Any athlete would say that. But the benefits I’ve received far outweigh staying home a couple weekends,” she said.

And, according to White, the drive for success always remains.

“I definitely still love swimming. I love to compete. I love to work out. I still have a passion for it.”