Proposed parking permit prices for semesters released

As the first semester in Northeastern history begins in September, many changes will be apparent on campus. Along with the curriculum and calendar changes will come smaller alterations in the way Northeastern University operates. Parking for one is an example.

Throughout most of its history, NU has been a predominately commuter-based institution. As the university has evolved the on-campus population has grown, with its on-campus population teetering about the 50 percent marker, the commuter population still exists at NU.

Ed Klotzbier, the director of university communications, released proposed prices for parking permits to The News this week. The proposed prices relate to fall semester and the academic year, 2003- 04. There will be no annual permits available. All parking permits, both, day and overnight must be purchased each semester. Day student permits will cost $220 a semester and overnight student permits will be $350 a semester. Klotzbier stressed that again; these are proposed costs and could be subject to change.

On another note, students, faculty and staff are urged to call public safety if they see improper use of the parking facilities on campus. Klotzbier said that it is not fair to students and other permit holders when cars with inappropriate decals fill the lots, cars are parked in fire lanes and parking in handicapped parking is utilized by unauthorized persons.

He concluded that the university is evaluating other alternatives to efficiently handle overnight parking in various parking facilities.

Public Safety can be reached 24-hours a day at 617-373-2121.