Bourque appointed new VP of facilities

By Stephanie Vosk

After a six-month search, Northeastern University has appointed Daniel F. Bourque as the new vice president of facilities at NU.

Bourque will now oversee the construction of West Buildings G and H and the new computer science building in progress, as well as several other projects in the works.

In addition to overseeing construction on campus, Bourque is in charge of all maintenance, including student work orders.

In regards to the current work order process, he feels that there is “room for improvement.”

“We’re working on trying to put up a web access program for students to put work orders in directly to try to expedite the process,” he said.

Some dorms already have this capability, including Kennedy and Smith Halls.

Bourque, who earned his graduate degree at Northeastern, has spent the last 20 years involved in university projects from the renovation of Dodge Hall to the construction of the Marino Center and West Village.

“It’s a redefinition of the vice president of business role,” Bourque said. “My charges are really focused on the facility side of things.”

Bourque started at Northeastern as the Director of Maintenance and stayed in the position for 10 years, moving then to become Director of Operations where he stayed for another decade.

With future plans including West Building F and the creation of recreational fields in the works, Bourque is looking forward to working with the students and faculty, the part of the job he enjoys the most.

In addition, he is currently working in conjunction with a non-profit squash organization to teach the game of squash to inner-city kids as well as mentoring and tutoring,

“I enjoy the challenges that have been afforded me and I’m looking forward to new challenges in the future, working closely as part of the university team,” he said.