Man on the Street: Ally Miola

By Margarita Neplokh

Have you ever dreamed of meeting a 21-year old Northeastern student, who has a penchant for black, loves her Chucks and will whip your T-shirts into style submission in her free time? Well, Ally Miola is the girl for you. A senior in the music industry department, Ally has traveled to London to study abroad, bringing back with her some serious style ideals. She spends her down time re-reading “Please Kill Me” by Leggs McNeil, destroying and rebuilding clothing, listening to records, cooking for friends and playing both air and electric guitar.

The Northeastern News: What is your style ethic?

Ally Miola: I guess it really varies from day to day. Usually just my favorite pair of jeans and my green Chucks with whatever shirt is lying around. Every now and then I feel like being pretty and I’ll put on a skirt. Especially now that the weather is getting so nice.

The News: Do you ever sacrifice comfort for style?

Miola: Yeah, I guess we’ve all been guilty of that at one point or another. I can’t really remember the last time I did it, though. I’ve come to realize that if you don’t feel good, you really don’t look good, so what’s the point?

The News: You mentioned that you studied abroad in London, has that influenced you in the way you dress?

Miola: London had a huge impact on me in so many ways. Style-wise, there were some real cool looks going on, especially at the clubs. I always incorporate things I see and like into my wardrobe, but with a personal touch no matter where I am. Camden Town was dangerous for me to go to because the clothing and record shops there are just incredible. I got a lot of ideas there.

The News: You also mentioned you worked for a designer while you were there. Did the designer give you any tips, or did you take anything from her theories on clothing, that you put into your own style aesthetic?

Miola: Unfortunately, I really didn’t get to work with her all too much since I was juggling school and lots of weekend trips to other cities while I was there. I know I could have learned a lot from her had I been able to spare the time. I guess all I managed to pick up was superficial, like the way she treated clothes more as costumes than anything else. She showed me that it was OK to get a little theatrical with your clothes.

The News: Living in Boston, where do you shop to address your current style?

Miola: That’s hard to say. The thrift stores here aren’t nearly as good as they are in New Jersey, but every now and then you can get a good find at the Garment District or AmVets, like the pair of hot pink pumps I found in the dollar/bagger. I used to get lots of stuff at H’M when they first opened, but their stuff has been getting kind of boring lately.

The News: Do you have a style icon, actress, actor, musician?

Miola: I guess I’d have to go with Joan Jett. She looks great on the cover of this one album, I think it’s called Heartbreaker, where all she’s wearing is a black T-shirt and leather pants with some bracelets. Then there’s also Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s who always has the most outrageous outfits on stage. I love that her friend makes them especially for her and what does she do with it? Pour beer and whisky all over the pretty little things on stage.

The News: If you could pick one piece for the summer, that would identify you and be perfect for the vacation weather, what would it be?

Miola: Giant oversize sunglasses and a drink with an umbrella!