Ads can not capture NU

Planes, trains and automobiles seem to be the wave of Northeastern’s future.

Though the university’s Leadership Campaign is utilizing a fraction of one percent of the budget, the underlying reality is that the university is being cheapened by the numerous print and television ads, vehicle wraps, mailings and billboards.

Instead of proving to the nation that “we’re number one,” the university seems to be pleading for attention like a neglected child. The identity of the university cannot be captured with a few catch phrases or vivid graphics. The true essence of the institution can only be captured through the experience and the education.

The university must now work on retaining the students that are under its roof, instead of overlooking towards the perspective students, or the “what ifs.” To accomplish this, the education must be richer, the lessons true to life and the faculty and staff must be there, literally.

Instead of slapping an over-sized sticker on the side of a bus, put real-life success stories in the classroom. Have President Freeland teach a management class, Ed Klozbier, the director of communications, teach a class on public relations and Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration Mucciolo a class in accounting. These figures are busy, but are the students not worth it?

Being a tuition-based institution, Northeastern would not loose revenue by plopping their top paid figure heads in the space that really counts – the classroom.