NU smells blood as they face Crimson

By Joe Rubin

The crew team heads down the Charles to see the sun rise and practice without feeling in their hands and face in a pure act of dedication. Training for one of the most physically demanding sports throughout the year takes time; in this case, waking up at 4:30 a.m.

The Huskies ended last season after they came in eighth in the national championship, an “under achievement” according to NU coach John Pojednic, who looks at this season as one that will be better than the prior.

Pojednic started his first year as coach well and was able to keep the Huskies on their toes, performing excellent on the river and not losing a step on the work of his predecessor Buzz Congram. He ended the season with a record of 4-1, with the only loss coming against Harvard in the Smith Cup.

Ranked fifth overall in this season’s Collegiate Rowing Coaches poll released on March 26, the Huskies look to lay claim to what they feel should have been theirs.

“It’s about where we are, but I’d like to build upon it,” Pojednic said.

Bumped up from the freshman team to the varsity are three sophomores who Pojednic thinks have what it takes to compete at a top collegiate level. Andrew Ireland, who has won a national championship in pair, Daniel O’ Shaughnessy, a fourth generation rower and who is currently rowing sixth seat in the varsity eight, and Michael Tripician, who was all state champion in 2001.

Those three look to try to fill the loss of last year’s MVP, Kyle Covney, who graduated last spring. Covney was “a real source of inspiration and athleticism,” according to Pojednic.

At the Head of the Charles Regatta, which took place this past October, the Huskies placed third overall in the varsity eight, where they had to compete with some the finest rowers in the world. The Huskies were edged by No. 4 Wisconsin by a second.

They open this season with the Smith Cup, which takes place on Sunday, April 6 against Harvard on the Charles. The Huskies have a five-year losing streak against Harvard. The Crimson caused their only loss of last year’s season.

Harvard, ranked third in the Collegiate Rowing Coaches poll, has won the past 11 out of 14 Smith Cups.

“They earned that rank,” said Pojednic, “it’s going to be a tough race.”

Last year, the Crimson, who were one seed ahead of NU who ranked second, came in second at the Eastern Sprints with Northeastern in fifth.

Pojednic looks forward to the race and is excited to go “against a higher ranked opponent and hopefully shift some things around a bit,” he said.

However, Harvard has lost three members of last year’s varsity eight team to graduation, which could put a damper on their season, and might end their streak.