Crowder must go now

It’s time for the Athletic Department to stop judging a coach’s success by the number of people who shell out $10 for a ticket.

How else can one explain why Hockey Coach Bruce Crowder has yet to be shown the door?

Crowder’s coaching career at Northeastern has been nothing short of a failure. His winning percentage is paltry; his Beanpot record is futile; his record in the Hockey East playoffs is embarrassing; and his NCAA playoff record at NU is non-existent. After a half-dozen seasons at the helm of Northeastern, it’s time for Crowder to be let go, he has failed to produce the results everyone hoped for when he was introduced as head coach years ago.

Among the nine Hockey East coaches, Crowder’s winning percentage ranks him seventh, with only consistent cellar-dwellers UMass Amherst and Merrimack College below him. It’s appropriate to note both those schools managed to secure berth in the Hockey East tournament this year. Crowder’s crew was again left out.

Crowder’s historic late-season collapses are a true sign of his ineffectiveness at the helm. In his career at Northeastern, the team has folded during the stretch run each of the past five seasons. A sign of an effective coach is his ability to win crucial games and during the last month of the season when most teams are fighting for a playoff position Crowder’s crew has faded. The numbers speak for themselves.

During the past five seasons, Crowder is a combined 11-33-1 during the last nine regular season games of each year. That’s a winning percentage of 25 percent. Unacceptable to say the least. During the past five seasons, Northeastern made it to the Hockey East playoffs on three occasions. Their record in the tournament is only worse, as Crowder has posted a mark of 1-6, a winning percentage of 14.

Crowder’s failures in the Beanpot deserves note, but they should not be the main factor for his firing. The fact remains, Northeastern will always be competing against larger schools in the tournament and will always be at a competitive disadvantage. Yet, other coaches have succeeded, while Crowder has almost always made reservations to play in the tournament’s consolation round.

Crowder remains a nice guy; his commitment to assisting in marketing programs as well as student-government activities is worthy of applause. He’s always shown a desire towards assisting with NU community events. His graciousness, however, does not earn him a get out of jail free card.

Crowder’s only claim to success can be the fact he has helped resurrect an interest in hockey at Matthews Arena. I’m aware that attendance has significantly improved during his tenure. The fact that attendance has improved is a testament not to Crowder, rather the thousands of students who yearn for a winner.

It is time Crowder is let go and the students finally get their well-deserved chance at watching a winner.

– Jim Stern is a graduate of the class of 2000.