Smith picked up by NFL

Northeastern University senior cornerback Art Smith signed a free agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens last week.

Smith, a first team All-Atlantic-10 selection at cornerback last season, was arguably the best secondary defender in the league last year, and one of the driving forces behind Northeastern’s A-10 championship and playoff berth.

With opposing quarterbacks fearful of throwing toward his side in his senior season, Smith made only two interceptions this fall. Nevertheless, he displayed his talent in other ways. Smith had 56 tackles (43 solo), including four tackles for loss. A big hitter who offered ample support in both rushing and passing situations, he posted three forced fumbles and seven passes defended. Smith proved to be an asset on special teams as well, returning a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown against Villanova.

Most importantly, Smith rose to the occasion in big games. In the Huskies conference-clinching victory over James Madison, he had five tackles, four unassisted. The standout corner also had two tackles for loss, a sack and a forced fumble, epitomizing head coach Don Brown’s aggressive, high-risk blitzing schemes.

Opposing offenses were wary of his ball hawking skills after an outstanding junior campaign saw the Willingboro, N.J. native lead the league with seven interceptions. He also showed a good nose for the ball in his first year at Parsons, tying for second place in the A-10 with three fumble recoveries.

Smith came to Northeastern after a two-year stint at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Penn. Before that, he lettered in football, basketball, and track while at Steinert High School, where he set a school record in the 100-yard dash.