Hats off to the Surgeon General

I would first like to comment on how much I enjoyed the recent symposium held at Blackman Auditorium. I was overwhelmingly impressed by the Surgeon General and deeply honored to have him visit our institution. I also discovered that Northeastern inaugurated its very own Institute of Urban Research. In retrospect, I wish I had chosen the Whittier Street/Behrakis Clinic for my PT project. I was torn between doing a clinical research project and a service learning project because I really wanted to serve the community while fulfilling a graduation requirement.

After hearing Dr. Carmona delineate his own upbringing and childhood, I found that he was very down to earth, and like he said, an “atypical Surgeon General.” This corrected all that I had envisioned of a person receiving the title of Surgeon General: an Ivy League graduate, decorated war veteran, or doctor and professor at a prestigious medical school. Dr. Carmona was almost all these and more. It is admirable to see that it is possible in this country to purely work arduously to achieve things that one would have never imagined. The career diversity and character of Dr. Carmona show that he truly is a first class representative of the people. His position does not raise him from his roots, and the fact that he remembers and is willing to share them with us makes him more credible and personable. I think these are assets are necessary by one whose responsibility is the health of his country’s citizens.

The active discussion on stage brought to light many issues in our area that Northeastern can create partnerships with in order to better the community as a whole. I feel much better about making my college decision to come here, and it has caused me to really reflect on how I can use my talents and the honor as a graduate of the PT program to benefit the disparity of health care today. It was in the favor of our profession that Dr. Carmona stated the importance of prevention of preventable health problems, which can profoundly impact society, economy, and legislation overall. Physical therapists view prevention as a foundation of their field, as found in the Guide for Professional Conduct and Code of Ethics of the APTA.

I am glad that I had this opportunity to really see what one of the nation’s officials was really like, and that he is not just another face on the television. Dr. Carmona carries a large burden on his shoulders, but, as he so put it, I believe that the discourse of his life “trained him for this position.” I feel that Dr. Carmona is one of the positive influences of the nation today, in a time when it appears that societal health issues are the least of anyone’s worries. As part of the health care profession, I can go into the field to serve the health of others with more pride and confidence in knowing that I am supported in affecting their lives, no matter who they are or where they come from.

– Chris T. San Agustin is a senior physical therapy major.