Our own race to the finish

Northeastern University began its own version of the Boston Marathon in the fall of 2000, when President Richard Freeland began the journey towards converting to semesters.

The energy level was high, people were optimistic, yet nervous, for everyone knew, or at least had an inkling that somewhere along the line, Northeastern would hit Heartbreak Hill.

But now, spring quarter 2003, Northeastern is on the final leg of its journey – this is the home stretch. There is no guarantee that the university will steal first place or revel in a victory but the finish line is in sight and Northeastern will complete the goal of converting the calendar over to semesters.

Key components that helped the university make it as far as it has without major delays — leg cramps if you will — include a dedicated staff, passionate administrators and a computer-based program that has allowed advisors advise and administrators administer information to students, staff and faculty.

It all started in the summer of 2000. It was all over local news stations — I know because I saw it with my own eyes. Northeastern University had accepted close to 650 students more than usual, more than it had anticipated and, the news stations reasoned, more than it could handle. What the cameras did not see was a university coming together — swearing under their breath, I’m sure — but working together because that was all the university could do.

When I sat down with Linda Allen (no relation), the university registrar, on Monday morning, the two instances were paralleled — the incoming “bulge class” and the oncoming conversion. Though completely different in size and scale, Allen said it was a great test for her and her team. Three years ago, the registrar’s office had to scour the university in search of resources — and fast — the clock was ticking and the incoming freshman were packing, anxiously awaiting their arrival at college, to begin the rest of their lives. And all the while, the people who make the university tick, worked against the clock in hopes for a seamless victory at the finish line — fall quarter 2000.

For those of you who can say, “I’m one of the 2500+ in the bulge class” you know that things went well, there were bumps along the way, but if you’re here to read this column, you made it.

For those who were here on campus when the news came out that the university was bracing for an unexpectedly large freshman class, you hung around. But some of the juniors, like your Student Government President, are quitting the race when the finish line is in sight by deferring graduation a year early. And the seniors; some will walk at commencement and that will be their last memory of NU, others will walk and then head back to classes this summer, finishing their degree, but not having to brave semesters.

And for those of you who came to Northeastern after the bulge class, the time is now ticking for you. There may be doubts in your minds, “Can they do it? Will it really happen?”

Believe it or not, I think it can.

Listening to Allen, I knew. She and her crew did it before, in three months. The university has now had three years. But there is something more important that the sand in the hour glass – NU has passion. Every administrator I meet, will ask, “What year are you? What program are you in? Where is your home town?” And most importantly, “Have you seen your advisor?”

Believe it or not, they care. This is why they push. The advising is just a part of training for the race. In order to come bombing down Boylston with the finish line in sight, we need to train. We need to jog through the course, scope out the terrain and plan for the trek to the finish line. They have all done their part, as much as they possibly can, planning for the hills, the bends in the path, cramps, dehydration and doubt. The course is set and now only time will tell.

Like a marathon runner, you scope out the terrain and prepare. As students, advising is our saving grace, to ensure that we make it through the conversion seamlessly, without taking an extra semester of classes or even deferring graduation. Northeastern students are known for “self-advising,” and Northeastern’s voice automated registering system fosters this quality. The self-service Web-site will eventually be able to foster the “self-advising” mentality once the calendar converts. But bottom line: academic advising is the Gatorade of the marathon. Without it, you will not make it to the finish line, and if you do, it will be a painful and prolonged race to the finish.

Academic advisors had DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System) in their corner to prepare for the race and, as soon as this summer, students will also have the training tool. The pieces are beginning to come together. The curriculum has been written, revised and run through once again. Department chairs told the registrar and other administrators they wanted perfection and integrity for their programs.

The look in Linda Allen’s eye said everything – she’s ready.

Heartbreak Hill has come and gone, backlash from students and faculty, doubting the process and the motives. The department of cooperative education has promised that co-op will not falter, if not gain momentum, by requiring six month rotations for students, and the program has been named number one in the nation.

This is the home stretch. Spring quarter will come and go quickly, hopefully the winter weather will follow its lead and then – it is go time.

The adrenaline will kick in, all of Freeland’s dreams will become a reality. Administrators, faculty and staff will see the end in sight, the university — together as a team will cross the finish line. Together, Northeastern University will prove to the nation that it finished the race in one piece.

And everyone will take a deep breath and prepare for the next race: attaining top 100 status.