Busey gets busy in ‘Identity’

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree for Jake Busey’s interest in acting. With a striking resemblance to his father, actor Gary Busey, he says he understands how the media easily makes comparisons of the father/son duo.

“There’s a lot of guys out there that are father and son actors,” Busey said. “They are family businesses. You can talk to a lot of the police and they say ‘yeah, my dad was a cop.’ Families tend to stick to things, it’s just something that I’m familiar with.”

Busey, who spent most of his summers growing up on film sets and touring with bands his father played in, says that he gets asked that question all the time: whether or not he feels pressure being the son of Gary Busey. He says there are no current plans in the works to do a movie with his father like the men in the Douglas clan, who recenlty collaberated on last Friday’s release, “It Runs in the Family.”

Along with the family ties questions, The News was able to have a conference call with the actor about his role as Robert Maine in “Identity.”

Here is an excerpt from the interview:

The Northeastern News: What was it like shooting on the set where it was raining most of the time?

Jake Busey: I’m out here in California and shooting was unexpectedly cold and miserable. It was one of those things where you say, ‘what a great character.’ You sort of overlook the dark rainy, night part written in the beginning. [I’m thinking] this is cool, it’s got me riveted as I’m reading. X amount of months later, hour 13, in the rain three days in a row, you’re cold and wet. In the movie, I sort of escape and run through the desert and I’m covered in mud — cold, wet, and also with dirt and mud, it’s wearing my skin away, it was absolutely miserable. It made for a good movie … next time I’m definitely going to pay attention if it’s in the rain though

The News: Were you able to read the whole script before you signed on to the role, or did the producers, writers and director keep any secrets from you in the plot?

Busey: When you’re talking about a large budget movie, everything is very professional and everyone knows every change. As you know, while movies are being filmed there’s a lot of rewrites, but we always had the full script. Unfortunately, I did know all the twists and secrets and the unique thing that led to an interesting ending, which definitely makes it more difficult to perform your role if you know what the ending is. You have to be more professional, and better at your craft. I send big kudos to the whole cast.

The News: You play bass and drums. Did your music have to be put on hold during shooting of the movie? Do any of the other actors you worked with play?

Busey: Every actor has some sort of musical interest. I think it comes from the old days of vaudeville. There’s always an acting scene … dancing, it’s all inclusive in today’s modern culture. When you see an actor in a band and they take themselves seriously, it’s gross to me, I hate it. Therefore, I keep my music to a group of guys that I grew up with. I’ve been in a few different bands, but now that my acting career is starting to take off, I don’t want to be lumped in with them and [hear people] go ‘oh yeah, they think they’re a rock star.’

College reporter from Dallas, TX: Do you think that you’re typecast into roles?

Busey: There are a few things going on with that, I think one of them is that I’ve always loved performing. We’re all just grown up kids, and we’ve all got imaginations and I pretend I’m a different person for different roles. That’s my enjoyment as far as my career started out. The comedies I did haven’t been so successful. Either I’m terrible or it was too crass, I tend to be an R-rated person in my life, I enjoy everything. Being a complete psycho is what people seem to like seeing me as. So, whatever comes my way. If it’s good, if it’s individual, I’ll do it. Because I’m just kind of that guy.

College reporter from Georgetown University: What made you choose the character of Robert Maine specifically?

Busey: There were a lot of good roles. John Cusack and Ray Liotta were running around town, that’s the role they considered me for. It was a good project. At the time, everyone in town wanted to work on it, it’s a good cast and I was lucky to be there. It was one of those situations where I’ve played some good psychos in the past. I just do what I do, but I guess people have enjoyed it.

The News: What was it like working with the all-star cast?

Busey: I don’t think there was one person in particular that I wasn’t excited to work with. It was great to be knowing I was going to be working directly with Ray Liotta in almost all of my scenes. Cusack has become a part of modern pop culture. It was great to work with him. Amanda Peet is just a doll, Rebecca DeMornay is a great actress, John Hawkes, Larry, the inn keep; he and I worked together in Home Fries, in 1996…just an amazing cast.